Pear cider... What mixture?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FatsSchindee

Reaction score
Wanting to try to make some perry... everything I've been reading seems to say that if you ferment just straight pear juice you end up with something that's not very sweet or tasty (but if someone thinks otherwise, please chime in with what/how you did so this wasn't the case). So I'm thinking of mixing with some cider...

Who has has success with this, and with what mixture ratio of the two? I was thinking of doing three one gal jugs simultaneously, using the same yeast (I like D-47 or Cotes du Blanc for my ciders, but maybe something less attenuating to leave some residual sweetness? Not sure yet), and just different ratios of apple juice to pear juice - 3:1, 1:1, and 1:3. Probably add a bit of dextrose or brown sugar to each (same amount) to up the abv slightly. Sound like a good experiment?

I tried to research this after trying Ace Perry, its delicious and SWMBO loves it. Apparently there are specific type of pears that produce the best juices for cider. I couldn't find any of the recommended types of pears locally, and the juice was crazy expensive to have shipped so I never tried it.

Your experiment sounds good! Would love to see some of the results you get.

I finally got around to trying this cider/ perry idea tonight. I did three one gallon batches, splitting 5g of rehydrated Red Star Cotes des Rhone yeast between the three. The first one is 100% apple juice, the second one is 75% aj and 25% pear juice, and the third is 25% aj and 75% pj. I added 3.5 oz dextrose to each. (OG 1.057 for first two; 1.054 for third), along with 1/4 tsp Fermaid-K, 1/4 tsp wine tannin powder (read it can help with the flat/flabby taste from pear juice), and 1/4 tsp pectinase to each (upped it to 1/2 tsp for the mostly pear one - that stuff was pretty thick ). I plan on adding anther 1/4 tsp Fermaid-K in a few days once fermentation takes off. Also have some acid blend on hand I could add if needed; will evaluate at first racking...

Interested to see how the three compare!

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1392796702.869259.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

SWMBO has been prodding me to make a perry/pear cider. I'll keep an eye on this thread for updates.

Latest posts

Back