Peanut Butter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToledoBeer

Reaction score
Planning on doing a peanut butter cup stout in a week or two, but I'm trying to figure out the best way to infuse the peanut butter. I have read a lot of people using PB2 to good results and and in general it sounds like extracts aren't that great.

I am thinking about roasting some peanuts, and running them through the food processor and then separating the oil over the next week or two. Then I was thinking about miking it with some water in order to separate the rest of the oil out and putting the mixture in the secondary. Any thoughts as to why this would/wouldn't work?

I'm also debating whether or not to add a pound of lactose to get the sweetness you'd get in a peanut butter cup. Thoughts?

Here is the recipe thus far:

9lbs Maris Otter
12 oz. Chocolate Malt
8 oz. Roasted Barley
4 oz Black Malt
1 oz. East Kent (7.2 AAU) for 60 minutes
4 oz. Cocoa Nibs (Secondary)

I use the PB2 in my peanut butter stout and it works really well. Sounds like a lot of work running the peanuts yourself, but it would definitely work. I think that is similar process to the PB2.

I add one pound of lactose in my recipe and love the way the beer tastes, I also make a variation with bananas and that beer was fantastic.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

I use the PB2 in my peanut butter stout and it works really well. Sounds like a lot of work running the peanuts yourself, but it would definitely work. I think that is similar process to the PB2.

I add one pound of lactose in my recipe and love the way the beer tastes, I also make a variation with bananas and that beer was fantastic.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

I fell in love with Willoughby Brewing Company's Peanut Butter Cup Coffee Porter this fall. Is there any chance that you may post your recipe for us to copy since it sounds like you've worked out some bugs? Sorry if this is this a stretch?

TIA,

Altimate_One

Sorry for the delayed reply below is my recipe:
Cheers!

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Saf Ale 05
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.064
Final Gravity: 1.030
IBU: 31.6
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 42 SRM

Ingredients
Amount Item Type % or IBU
7 lb American 2-Row Grain 57 %
1 lb Roasted Barley Grain 8 %
1 lb Milk Sugar (Lactose) 8 %
1 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -55L Grain 6 %
.5 lb Munich Dark Malt Grain 6 %
1 lb Chocolate Malt Grain 6 %
8 oz Flaked Barley 5%
8 oz Flaked Oats
0.5 oz Magnum [14.00%] (60 min) Hops
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (10 min) Hops
5.00 items PB2 [6.5 oz jar] (15 min) Misc
5.00 items PB2 [6.5 oz jar] (5 min) Misc
House Safe Ale Yeast 1 Week Primary Fermentation at 68.0 F
Secondary Fermenter 60 days at 57.0 F

Mash In 154.0 F 60 min

Notes:
After primary, day 8, add 3 pounds of pureed banana, 3.25 oz of chocolate PB2 and 8 oz of Vodka to the primary fermenter.

Let the banana ferment out and transfer to a secondary. The variation with bananas needs a long time to settle out in the secondary.

Please don't take offense, is the banana necessary? I'm just asking. If you say its delicious then I will certainly try it.

Is that really 65 oz of pb2? Or just two jars?

And by all means, can you clarify this PB2 amount?

No PB2 in either of the fermentors?

Back