Peanut butter or Nutella stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

g2rnewton

Reaction score
Has anyone tried to add PB or Nutella to a stout. Wife loves dirty little freak by Duclaw in Baltimore. Want to make a clone for holidays.

I think if anything, I would use powered peanut butter. I'd be worried that the oil in the peanut butter would really affect any head retention you were hoping to have.

I strongly recommend brewer's best peanut butter flavor or lorann oil peanut butter flavor.

Skip the hassle. Duclaw uses flavoring.

I strongly recommend brewer's best peanut butter flavor or lorann oil peanut butter flavor.

Skip the hassle. Duclaw uses flavoring.
I usually buy my kits from Northern Brewing. I will look to see if they have the brewer's best flavoring. If they don't, do you know where I can get it on-line? Thanks.

Thanks for the tips. I am thinking about a similar peanut butter cup milk stout myself. Hoping to brew it in next couple weeks once I get supplies.

Perhaps pick some peanut brittle up at your local sweet shop and grate it into a powder. I can only imagine this would work and taste great. Why use flavoring when you can use the real thing.

I'm not sure about the brittle.... I have never tried it but what gives brittle its flavor is baking soda and I'm not sure how that will age in the beer?

Perhaps pick some peanut brittle up at your local sweet shop and grate it into a powder. I can only imagine this would work and taste great. Why use flavoring when you can use the real thing.
Most people want to avoid adding oil/butter to beer since it supposedly kills head.
Plus peanut brittle has a bunch of sugar, salt, and baking soda -- none of which is desirable.

That's why people use de-oiled peanut flour or flavoring.

I can see why people would use denatured oil free peanut powder. I don’t percieve brittle as having too much oil left once baked into a solid state, but perhaps. As far as sugar, that is yeasts friend (food) and as for the small amount of salt, I actually condition my water with more salt than one would find in a brittle bar. (6 gallons = 1gm, yeasts enemy). A little salt doesn’t kill yeast. If this was the case my baked bread would never rise and I use alot of salt and half as much weight of yeast for my baguettes.

As for baking powder..... I have no idea what that is doing in the brittle, as brittle doesn’t need to rise. I’m sure brittle recipes vary but I see the problem that BP could present sitting in beer for an extended period of time.

I would take defatted peanut butter flower and throw it in some vodka.

Have you done this?
I've done the two cans of PB2 straight in the beer and it didn't do much. I asked about this and the common response was to use vodka. Interestingly enough, I ran into the brewer while at a brewery that was serving a PB Chocolate Stout where the PB was so pronounced. I asked the brewer and he told me to put the powder in vodka for a while to extract the flavors.

Latest posts

Back