Peachy off-flavour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hjandersen

Reaction score
I've experienced this in three independent APA batches (about 10% of my production) now using different yeasts: 05, 04 and Notty and using very different hop-combos: chinook, athanum, target, willamette..

It's not a dislikable taste, but it's not really the spot-on hop flavours I'm going for!

I generally ferment at 65-72 - typically low (65-68) until airlock activity is almost over and then bump to (68-72)..

Any ideas as to the culprit here?
(The flavour is extremely distinctive - Although very different recipes the beers smell and taste extremely similar..)

I have gotten a fruity ester by under pitching 04.

I suspect under pitching, which usually does not happen with dry yeast. Are you hydrating the yeast first? Maybe try two packets next time you brew.

Thanks for chiming in.

If anything - I should be over-pitching..
I usually brew 3 gal batches and pitch 0.5-1 whole sachet of dry yeast rehydrated following manufacturers protocol.

A lot of people report peach off flavors from us05 at low temperatures, 60-65. If you're fermenting up at about 68 it shouldn't be an issue. You could try one of the other versions of the Chico yeast.

I experienced this same anomaly with a few of my APA's.

After looking more closely at my hop schedule, I realized that I had an overwhelming amount of high alpha American hops that were likely dominating my beer's flavor profile. My instincts told me to try using more noble hops for the aroma and flavor and leave the floral American hops just for bittering.

If you feel like you might be in the same situation, I'd recommend using hops like fuggles, northern brewer and Golding in combination as your flavor and aroma hops.

I made some great IPA's on the next round.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

0.5ish grams into 3 gallons could be an underpitch if the yeast is a year old or if u have high gravity. Use mrmalty yeast calc and try pitching for sure on the high end. I know Jamil talked about peach off-flavors from US-05 so it might be a flaw of certain yeast lots. Can you keep track of the yeast lot maybe and see if that is a factor?

Latest posts

Back