Peach pie "shine" (not real stuff) bubbling like soda?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jnr1005

Reaction score
I know this is prob the wrong place to ask as far as category...but I don't know where else to ask and I figure this may be a fermentation thing...

So I made peach pie with juice, peaches, and everclear...basically makes a very sweet liquor. All was great, enjoyed a few over last month or so. Went to pantry to grab one tonight, open it and it fizzes up like soda pop. Smells fine, didn't taste it. Any input on if this may be a wild yeast thing? It was in a mason jar...self sealed. I checked other jars and they are all slightly bulging like they are carbed too... I'm just wondering if it is safe to taste it. I didn't think bugs could survive in beer..so something with 20% ABV seems like it would be safe...right?

Sorry if there is a better place for this topic...I'm just hoping some homebrewers can offer in site...

Could be infected, or yeast from the peach skin. If you were storing yeast in the mason jar prior to adding your peach cobbler residual yeast could have survived.

I would throw them all in the fridge and drink them soon, and practice better sanitation in the future. IMO, probably safe to drink. A little fizz to that drink seems like it would taste great

Safe to drink, just be careful about the possibility of exploding jars. Keep them in a fridge or, at the very least, a rubbermaid with a lid to contain any possible jar-bombs.

Thanks for the input! My buddy reminded me that I added fresh peaches after I boiled the mix, so that's probably where the yeast came from. We just tried a sip and it was amazing! I moved my other 2 jars to the fridge to hopefully save them from a bomb ;-) now I'm trying to figure out how to do this on purpose next time...maybe some champagne yeast or something....

Back