Peach Milkshake?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agentbud

Reaction score
Recently I have been wanting to try a milkshake IPA and I like peaches so I think I will go that route. Below is a basic recipe but I'm not as much concerned about the recipe as I am the process. For those of you have brewed a similar beast, what I am really looking for are pointers on process. ie - how to prepare the fruit - store bought puree or real fruit, when to add the fruit, how to keep out O2 when adding fruit, mash temps, fermentation temps/duration, etc. Any tips and tricks for making a thick peachy milkshake IPA.

5 gallon - all grain / BIAB
2 row pale - 75%
flaked oats - 20%
honey malt - 5%
lactose - 1 lb
vanilla beans - 2 as a tincture
Hops - citra, mosaic, nectaron at whirlpool and 2 dry hops

What say yee?

I've used frozen sliced fruit and puree. You can't go wrong with either. The thing with peaches I've noticed is that they're more tart then I thought it would be . I ended up adding a tad bit of apricot to help it .

Now with the lactose that might help . I can't say for sure though. I'd probably go 5# of peaches and 1# apricots . Add when your fermentation is just about done .

I mash at 152 . Temp really depends on the yeast .

Do you rack to secondary for the fruit or just leave it all in primary. I moved away from doing secondary a few years ago but wonder if the fruit would do better moved away from the initial hop dosage and other matter that drops out.

Do you rack to secondary for the fruit or just leave it all in primary. I moved away from doing secondary a few years ago but wonder if the fruit would do better moved away from the initial hop dosage and other matter that drops out.

I prefer to rack ontop of fruit . I tried adding fruit to the fermenter and I made a complete mess . If you do it at the tail end of fermentation your fine either way . Just don't splash to much . To add , I've stopped putting fruit in my conical style fvs . If I do a fruit beer I add fruit to my carboy ..... yes it can be a pain . However it doesn't clog , making it easier to transfer.

Back