PE Water tanks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

james78

Reaction score
Hi guys. Has anyone used the large polyethelene water tanks for fermentation ? The ones commonly used for holding reserve water for the home. They come in larges sizes but more importantly I can buy locally rather having to import as I live in Panamá where large scale brewing equipment is not readily available.

Assume they are rated for potable water use, aka the equivalent of a NSF rating?
If so, that would be a plus. If you can sanitize them, you should be able to ferment in them.
Probably not what you want to use for a commercial operation, but for home brewing, I would think they would work ok.

fwiw, some types of polyethylene are particularly bad at preventing oxygen ingress - like three orders of magnitude worse than other plastics...

permeability.jpg

While pretty much any food grade vessel would be fine up to when the yeast call it quits, after that point leaving beer in a highly-O2-permeable vessel would be risky...

Cheers!

Thanks for the feedback guys. I will have to give it some more thought before I decide.

Hi guys. Has anyone used the large polyethelene water tanks for fermentation ? The ones commonly used for holding reserve water for the home. They come in larges sizes but more importantly I can buy locally rather having to import as I live in Panamá where large scale brewing equipment is not readily available.

Do you have a picture?

Back