PC Fan controller with no PC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bulbous_blues

Reaction score
Hi

I have some computer fans and a computer PSU I wanted to use to help me keep my fermenter cool during the upcoming summer months. I was thinking that I could use a computer fan controller to help keep the fans running at a constant temp. I just wondered before I sourced one if the controllers will work when not connected to a motherboard. I wondered if anyone had any experience of this?

I am not quite sure how you intend to use the fan but I made a stir plate and wired the computer fan to a rheostat that I got at Radio Shack to control the speed. The power comes from an old answering machine power pack. The block thingy that you plug into the wall. I had to try a couple with different amperage's to get the right speed. No need for a motherboard.

I was thinking that the fan controller will respond to changes in temperature, that's what its supposed to do in a computer. I'm in Texas and the temps can change quite a lot during the night and day. also a PC fan controller is pretty cheap.

What is a stir plate?

I was thinking that the fan controller will respond to changes in temperature, that's what its supposed to do in a computer. I'm in Texas and the temps can change quite a lot during the night and day. also a PC fan controller is pretty cheap.

What is a stir plate?

Kind of like a hot plate but it spins a magnetic stir bar to mix what is on it. We use them for yeast starters, labs use them for mixing chemicals.

Where would you be installing this fan that you want it to come on and turn off based on temp?

If this is in a fermentation chamber, then you should be able to split the fridge's power to allow a fan to operate as described above.

In my opinion you would want the fan always on so that there is no temp stratification and the temp controller will have less work to do. Sometimes mixing up the air depending on where the temp sensor is would be sufficient to cause it to turn back off again.

In my opinion you would want the fan always on so that there is no temp stratification and the temp controller will have less work to do. Sometimes mixing up the air depending on where the temp sensor is would be sufficient to cause it to turn back off again.

This. My chest freezer fermentation chamber cycles on and off based on the temperature, but the circulation fans remain on constantly to ensure that the temperature is even throughout.

Yea you should just always leave the fan on. Its pulling basically zero power, there's no point to turn it off.

Back