PBW residue help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trapae

Reaction score
So I made the mistake of soaking all of my small stainless steel parts of my conical and PBW for like three or four days. I was Just about to rinse them to let them dry but now there’s a white residue on many of the pieces that haven’t come off with scrubbing and soaking. I’ve taken a look online and it looks like I need to do an acid wash? I have five star beer stone remover so I’m going to follow directions and soak them in that and then let them air dry. Hopefully this removes the residue. Any opinions or suggestions? Thanks.

As @day_trippr says, try white vinegar. I never had the buildup issue until I soaked my SS kettle for a week in PBW. It left a gritty mess that wouldn't clean off with anything I had in my house. I picked up a jug of white vinegar and it cleaned up in about 3 minutes.

fwiw, PBW is best used hot-ish - like 150°F - but I quickly found one must then ensure the rinse water is at least as hot, lest precipitates glom onto the surface of what one is trying to clean. At that point it takes an acid to remove the resulting ghostly film...

Cheers!

Vinegar didn't work on mine all the way. I'm going to have to do an acid wash . Frustrating because when it's wet you don't see it , only when it dries it's visible.

Just an update, five star beer stone remover worked really well. All of the scale came right off after a 10 minute soak.

Back