Pawtucket Water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hornswaggles

Reaction score
Anyone have a water report from the public water supply in Pawtucket, RI? The utilities public water quality reports don't include the mineral contents that we as brewers are interested in. I'll send out for a ward report if necessary but figured i'd ask if anyone has one first.

Thanks

Call your water company and ask to speak to someone in quality control. They have your mineral numbers.

Also ask them about their water sources and fluctuations in the mineral composition over time. If there is large fluctuation, a Ward report is not that helpful as it's merely a single day's snapshot.

Agree that calling the water department and asking is the best first step. Unfortunately I do not see anything on their website other than the "water quality" reports which are just a validation to customers that the water is safe to drink. These reports do not have the ion content information you want for brewing. In general the base water is probably fine since just about all surface water in southern New England is soft and low in minerals.

Having been exposed to Pawtucket water years ago it was always pretty highly chlorinated so you will need to deal with that. It can be done apparently as there are now several micro brewers in the city.

You have some local microbreweries. If you call them, you might find one willing to share their untreated water analysis.

I did some sleuthing and discovered this:

Pawtucket.png

https://ribrewingsociety.com/ri-water-reports/

Nice job on finding a report, Silver Is Money. That's not bad brewing water to start with and is typical of ground water in the region. The Na+ and Cl- are a little above average, most likely because the city reservoirs are relatively small and do get some winter road runoff from salted pavement. horswaggles, as long as you deal with the chlorine you should be fine.

Back