Patience in brewing is a virtue!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catdaddy66

Reaction score
That's why I love brewing as a hobby. It's for lazy people like me lol!

Seriously, there is so much that can be made right with time. I began a yeast starter with Irish ale yeast that had been in my fridge for 18 months minimum. I knew it would be a challenge to wake these guys up. 24 hours afterwards I saw nada... nothing, zip, zilch for activity. I was resigned to substitute Nottingham in place if the wlp004, but decided to wait til today.

I woke up to kreusen in the starter! Woo hoo! Gonna step up a third time and pitch this evening after letting wort cool to pitch temps. Am very stoked I can yse the proper yeast after all!

Nobody had any instance when patience payed off with positive results? I find that hard to believe! Let's hear about when that horrendous flavor turned into tasty brew, when you botched the process but got your best beer. I can't wait to read these...

Nobody had any instance when patience payed off with positive results? I find that hard to believe! Let's hear about when that horrendous flavor turned into tasty brew, when you botched the process but got your best beer. I can't wait to read these...

I made a double batch of Centennial Blonde, did half with Nottingham and the other half I wanted to try with a Belgian yeast, actually got the limited run of Wyeast's Canadian Belgian and used that.

The Belgian though, unfortunately developed my first infection (used the bottling bucket, thought I cleaned the spigot, but apparently not well enough). It's had a rather strong off flavor.

It's been sitting for probably a month in the keg, it's cold and carbonated. As I drink the regular Blonde I'm hoping the Belgian can mellow a bit. It seems to be, but slowly. I guess we'll see in a month or two. If in 1 or 2 months it is still rather unpleasant I'll probably dump it. I only have 3 kegs.

Had a big lag time on my last brew, so i ran down to the brew shop to get more yeast to pitch. When I got home there were bubbles coming rapidly out of the airlocks. Should have waited a little longer, lol.

That's why I love brewing as a hobby. It's for lazy people like me lol!

I couldn't agree with you more. I typically have 3 fermenting buckets at any given time just sitting there waiting for me to bottle. I also do mead and mango wine for further procrastination.

Last week I bottled a 6 month old BOMM, 5 month old Apple Cyser and a 5 week old Irish Red Ale. Since then, I have only replaced one of the carboys with a batch of Berry Melomel and a traditional BOMM. I still have an Oatmeal Stout (5 weeks old) and a Belgian IPA (10 weeks) to bottle.

The longest brew I have let sit, was a Belgian Trippel (12%ABV) that I bottled at 12 weeks. It is smooth as silk with zero fusels. My next break I am planning on brewing a Saison and an Amber Ale.

Latest posts

Back