Pasteurization knowledge check

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nos33

Reaction score
Okay so from what I have read on here....

1. If you go straight from fermentation chamber to keg (refrigerated) and you like it a little dry, you don't need to pasteurize.

2. If you go from fermentation to keg (refrigerated) and add some juice to sweeten you don't need to pasteurize.

3. If you go straight from fermentation to bottles and want it dry but you will keep it in the fridge, you don't need to pasteurize.

4. If you go straight from fermentation to bottles and want it back sweetened and you used potassium sorbate to stop fermentation in its tracks, but you will keep it in the fridge, you don't need to pasteurize.

5. If you want to take a cider from fermentation to bottles and keep it on a room temperature shelf you need to pasteurize.

That is my basic knowledge of when you need to pasteurize and when you don't. Am I missing anything?

If I am wrong on any of these topics please correct me.

You only need to pasteurize when you want some sweetness and bottle carbonation too. The heat will kill the yeast so they don't continue to ferment after you reach your desired carb level. Your (5) example doesn't need pasteurizing if the cider is dry (no sweetness) or if it's still (no carbonation).

Are you making a presentation?
1. If you go straight from fermentation chamber to keg (refrigerated) and you like it a little dry, you don't need to pasteurize.
Right. Let it finish fermenting before kegging.
2. If you go from fermentation to keg (refrigerated) and add some juice to sweeten you don't need to pasteurize.
Depends on the yeast and how fast you drink it. Some yeast ferment at low temperature, slowly.
3. If you go straight from fermentation to bottles and want it dry but you will keep it in the fridge, you don't need to pasteurize.
Right. Or you can bottle carbonate by calculating the correct amount of priming sugar and leaving it at room temperature.
They don't need to be stored on the fridge.
4. If you go straight from fermentation to bottles and want it back sweetened and you used potassium sorbate to stop fermentation in its tracks, but you will keep it in the fridge, you don't need to pasteurize.
If you properly stabilized, refrigeration is not necessary.
5. If you want to take a cider from fermentation to bottles and keep it on a room temperature shelf you need to pasteurize.
Dry cider does not need to be refrigerated.

I ferment my cider to dryness. I bottle with priming sugar. I can keep these bottles at room temperature indefinitely without pasteurization or refrigeration.

You only need to pasteurize if you're wanting naturally sweet, naturally carbonated cider that's stable at room temperature. See the sticky about bottle pasteurization.

Cheers

You only need to pasteurize when you want some sweetness and bottle carbonation too. The heat will kill the yeast so they don't continue to ferment after you reach your desired carb level. Your (5) example doesn't need pasteurizing if the cider is dry (no sweetness) or if it's still (no carbonation).
I see where I went wrong. I thought that since it was just sitting on a shelf the extra oxygen in the neck of the bottle could cause issues

Are you making a presentation?

Right. Let it finish fermenting before kegging.

Depends on the yeast and how fast you drink it. Some yeast ferment at low temperature, slowly.

Right. Or you can bottle carbonate by calculating the correct amount of priming sugar and leaving it at room temperature.
They don't need to be stored on the fridge.

If you properly stabilized, refrigeration is not necessary.

Dry cider does not need to be refrigerated.

I ferment my cider to dryness. I bottle with priming sugar. I can keep these bottles at room temperature indefinitely without pasteurization or refrigeration.

You only need to pasteurize if you're wanting naturally sweet, naturally carbonated cider that's stable at room temperature. See the sticky about bottle pasteurization.

Cheers
Thanks for the info.

Back