Partigyled lager potential screw up...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1Mainebrew

Reaction score
So I made a Kate the Great Clone a week and a half ago and made a partigyle schwarzbier from the second runnings. The OG was only 1.029 (preboil) so I boosted it with DME to bring it up to 1.048 (post-boil OG). The batch was only 3.5 gallons but I made a 2.5 Liter starter of Munich Lager (wyeast 2308 ). I pitched cold. I kept it in primary for 10 days at 52. I checked for diacetyl yesterday when I got home from work and there was none. My gravity was down to 1.014, but it was definitely still fermenting (you could visually watch the yeast moving up and down in the fermenter). The sample tasted great, no diacetyl, very, very clean, but a bit watery. I figured that I would get it off the yeast cake and harvest the yeast. I racked to the corny and set my FC to 45 (lowest default setting). I also placed my harvested yeast in there and noticed krausen forming on the harvested yeast. I presume the same is happening in the corny. I'm planning on degassing the harvested yeast regularly until its settled. I have a crawl space that will be getting down to the 30's with the weather soon and will transfer into the crawl space for long term lagering.

So my questions are:

1) Will this lager develop a bit of body, or will this just be a nasty watery mess??
2) Should I pull it out and warm it for a D-rest anyway despite the lack of diacetyl and my cold pitch with a big starter?
3) Will my harvested yeast be alright?
4) Did I ruin this by transferring too soon?

1. Carbonation may create the sensation of more body, but likely not much. I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up fairly thin; 1.029 is fairly low, and DME doesn't add much body.
2. Hard to tell unless you do a force-ferment test to see if it's fermented all the way. It probably wouldn't hurt anything, at least.
3. Sure, sounds like it's fine.
4. It's probably fine. Would have been better to leave it on the yeast until fermentation was for sure finished; now I would recommend doing a force-ferment test to make sure. You'll probably have a yeast sediment in the corny.

Back