Partigyle DIPA help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmoewes

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
After a great success with doing a partigyle batch to produce my Porter/Brown Ale I decided I wanted to try to to product a DIPA/IIPA. But looking at my calculations for the resulting small beer I'm not sure what to do with it.

The recipe is pale malt, Crystal 40 and carafoam (based on my stright up DIPA recipe).

The big beer will come out about 1.083 with ~ 9.5SRMS which will be right on target.

The small beer should come out about 1.040 and ~ 5.5SRM. With a little bittering, by the numbers it will come as a weak Pale Ale, or a Special Bitter. But it won't have much malt flavor so the Bitter is out. Unless maybe if to cap the mash with some biscuit or something to add some malty flavors back in, but that's a shot in the dark at this point.

I've read a couple forum post and blogs that the small beer was a waste for other people I'm assuming it just didn't turn out to be tasty. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/iipa-partigyle-184824/

Any thoughts on making the small beer successful with this?

Maybe some odd yeast? Maybe Roeselare or WL630 Berliner Weisse?

It's 10 pounds of malt plus the yeast (assuming I can use hops I already have) so it's not a huge deal cost wise, but I'd like to make the effort to get the small beer to be something worthwhile. If not, maybe just brewing my IIPA straight up will be a better choice. I'm just so pleased with how my porter/brown turned out I'd like to think it could work on the pale side of the house as well.

I kinda just did this myself, but slightly lower gravity for both. My primary was for competition and partigyle for experiment/stock my keezer with beer. Primary mash turned out at 1.068 and partigyle came in at 1.030 ish. I added DME to the partigyle running (last 10 mins of the boil) and the beer turned out to be a very nice Pale Ale at 4.8%. The body was a little thin but I didn't mind, it's still pretty warm in Tampa even in the winter so thin is sometimes refreshing. The best part was I used rehydrated dry yeast vs making a starter and it was so easy and cheap. 5 gallons for about 8 bucks! If you have the time do it. I like the idea about steeping some specialty grains to play with flavors. Consider some oak or other wood in secondary, adding peppers to it for a spicy take, etc....

This was the lunch time topic today at work and I think I've decided to pitch the berliner weiss yest. Skipping the boil as well so my sparging requirements will be a little smaller.

I was worried about the seconds being super light given the initial grain bill. When I did this for a Porter I know there would still be plenty of color and roast left for the small beer.

If I didn't have 5 gallons of pale ale waiting to go into the keg I might do it as a pale ale.

There's always next time.

Back