Partially filled bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmoewes

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I frequently find as I am filling my bottles that I will wind up with the last one not completely full. Maybe 60-75% fill. Should I just go ahead and cap it or is that asking for issues?

I just bottled a batch last night and ended up with the last bottle 3/4 full. I just cap em anyway. For all the work we put into our beers we might as well get the full potential. The worst I could see would be minor oxidation from the extra gasses in the head space.

I had one like that (about 60% full). Put it on the shelf and kind of forgot about it until about 11 months later. Opened it up just to see what was going on and the cap literally exploded off. The cap literally hit the roof. In hindsight i think I'll just drink them from now on.

I cap them and drink them. I usually drink them earlier so there's less time for oxidation to set in. (I honestly don't know that it matters or even how long it would take to notice ... But that's my drunken theory). No need to waste it and I prefer to cap it and let it carb up than drink it flat and unconditioned.

I have a small collection of 8 oz bottles I put into the queue at the end. I've been thinking of getting some 4 oz just for those days when I don't want a full bottle.

Call those tester bottles. Depending on yeast and temperature, along with the desire to drink active cask like beer, I will pop the partial after 3 or 4 days to see where things are at. If there is enough carbonation to make it like it is coming out of a fresh cask, well :mug:

Back