Partial mash with 5 gallons of water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xwillx

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I just did my first brew this weekend. I tried to be fancy and picked out a partial mash kit with 3 lbs of malt. Since i have an outdoor propane burner, I decided to keep everything outside and do a full boil.

I followed the rules for the most part, but I think I really screwed up the seeping step. For some reason, since i had 5 gallons of hot water already, i decided to just do the seep with all five gallons. Brilliant right? Well, now I find out that the amount of water used in the seep is critical.

So, what kind of beer do you think I am going to end up with here? Something drinkable? My seep temps were OK, around 150-155. My original gravity was perfect. Fermentation seems to be going fine. I tasted the wort and it seemed OK. I really thought i was tasting the hops, but maybe that was all those extra tannins?

Thank you for any insights you can give me.

Are you sure it was a partial mash kit,& not an extract with steeping grains kit? A partial mash kit tells you how much water to mash the grains in for X amount of time,usually an hour. And for the record,mashing & steeping are two different things. Similar,but different. In steeping,water volume isn't critical whereas in mashing,it is. Generally 1.25-1.5 quarts of water per pound of grain.

Yeah, it was a partial mash kit from AHS. 5 lbs of extract and 3.5 lbs of malt grain. It specified how much water to use when doing the seep, but i thought that was just a minimum amount that would be easy to work with on the stove top. I really thought it was just the water temperature, not the volume that was important.

Yeah, it was a partial mash kit from AHS. 5 lbs of extract and 3.5 lbs of malt grain. It specified how much water to use when doing the seep, but i thought that was just a minimum amount that would be easy to work with on the stove top. I really thought it was just the water temperature, not the volume that was important.

The volume has to do with pH, so that's why there is a prescribed volume. It still should be ok, but next time I'd go with no more than 2 quarts/pound of mash water, especially if you're sparging.

With 3.5lbs of grains,5 or 6 quarts (1 1/4 to 1 1/2 gallons) is average water/grist ratio. I use a 1 gallon SunnyD jug I marked in 1 quart increments with a 2C measure & a sharpie.

Back