Partial mash software help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hamburgeler

Reaction score
Long time lurker, first time poster (search has always answered my questions without needing to sign up).

I have always used Hopville to formulate and record recipes, I just figured out mash water volumes and temps by hand and free online calculators. I really want to dial in my process, because sometimes I just wing water volumes and temps. So I downloaded the free trial of BeerSmith 2, but foolishly let it expire before I could really get to learn it. Then I downloaded Brew Target, but can't seem to figure something one aspect out. My current apartment dictates my current setup, which is partial mash with a 3 gallon mash tun and 5 gallon kettle, but I can only adequately boil 3.5 gallons of wort as my stove just cant handle more.

1. Does BeerSmith or Brew Target account for the volume that DME takes up? According to this link, 6 pounds will increase volume by .4 gallons. In Brew Target, the mash and sparge water volumes add up to 3.5 gallons. Any extract additions would seem to increase that total.

2. Is there a setting I am missing? I definitely do not know either program that well yet.

3. If not, is there software that will?

I don't own the full version of BeerSmith, but am more than willing to pay for any program that does this (as long as it runs on Mac). Brew Target seems great so far, especially considering it is free. Sorry for the long winded question, but I have been at a loss trying to figure it out. Thank you for your help!

Back