Partial mash - grains mashed for too long!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fenners

Reaction score
I'm doing my second partial mash kit from AHS after doing a couple of (very straightforward + successful extract kits). My first partial mash was a *mess* with poor temperature control all over the place on a brand new propane burner. This time, everything was going great with my mash - got to 155 degrees quickly and good solid temperature control during the 45 minute mash.

I had about 15 minutes to go, then disaster - my two year old threw a temper tantrum to stop going to bed - so bad we call them "hairy fits". This needed my attention at the critical time, and instead of 45 minutes, the mash lasted ~60 minutes by the time I got my sparge water upto 170 degrees.

So, how's this going to affect the final beer? It's their "Northdown & Bound" Pale Ale, if that matter.

And yes, I'm relaxed about it & drinking my /last/ successful brew, a nice pale ale ;) Just curious how the extra long mash will affect it.

When I got back to it, was at about 147 degrees, just sitting there an extra 15 minutes.

I mash my grains for 90 minutes... I'm not sure if you can technically mash grains to long (am sure hours upon hours might have some type of effect on the sparge because the grains would break down to much). I'm sure you had pretty good conversion in the first 45 minutes. Your sparge water might have been a little to high but most people do "mash outs" between 170-180. I'm not super experienced with all grain or mini mashes so some other experienced brewer might say something else. I think you will be good to go!

Good to know I haven't killed it! I did 170degrees to follow the AHS "recipe" from the kit.

This is my first solid partial mash that's gone well, combined with a yeast starter for the first time, so I'm wanting it to go well! 15m till the next hops ;)

There is a possibility that you might get some astringency from the extended mash... But I doubt it.

Ok, so once you get to all-grain, you will realize that what you did was STANDARD practice. Most AG brewers mash for 60-90 mins depending on style and mash temperature. Mash out is usually done at 170*. You did absolutely nothing wrong. You did everything right. That should be your new schedule for your minimashes. I mash most of my beers at 150 and mash for 75-90 mins to get better conversion and attenuation. Well done!

Back