Parti-gyle second running advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TallDan

Internet Hobo - Sheepmaster
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Brewed an imperial stout today and after getting the stout done, I continued a long fly sparge and collected 7.5G of 1.031 wort. (Which i brought to a boil tonight, but wasn't prepared to finish the job.) I plan to boil that down to 6.5G and make a second beer from it tomorrow. I anticipate that I will have 6.5G of 1.037 wort to work with.

Now, the most obvious thing to do is make a brown porter, I would be looking at a 1.042 OG. I'm also considering making a black IPA or something else from it. I have a little bit of DME on hand that i could use to bump up the OG, and can easily stop by the LHBS tomorrow for some LME as well.

Since the imperial stout is in my fermentation chamber, i'll be limited to basement ambient temperatures (65F) or water bath for temp control.

So, my question to HBT this evening is, what would you do? Add malt extract to bump up the OG? leave it as is? Porter? Black IPA? something else? Dump it all?

I won't be making a starter for this beer, so dry yeast is probably preferable.

Grain bill for the mash was:
21lb Marris Otter
2lb flaked oats
1.5lb crystal 60
1.5lb pale chocolate malt
1lb cara-pils
1lb roasted barley

I did a RIS back in March and with the 3rd runnings I pitched some 1084 (which I had a huge cake read to go for the RIS). I kinda went with the groove and added some Willamette and Amarrilo, then in the keg I added some Chai. Not a lot, just a bit to give it some flavour.

It turned out ok, but I think if I were to do it again I would go with a hoppier brew. There was a lot of residual sweetness which I thought would go well with the chai, but I think hops would be better.

With what you have listed for grains, I think Black IPA would be the way to go.

With what you have listed for grains, I think Black IPA would be the way to go.

First off, realized i had a typo in my grain bill. it's fixed now, 21lb of MO, not 12lb.

The black IPA is tempting just because i know the hops have the potential to overpower any issues with leaving the wort overnight tonight or lack of good fermentation temp control.

Also should have mentioned that I have some american hops on hand: Cascade, Amarillo, Mosaic, CTZ, Warrior. Also have some Nelson Sauvin, and my LHBS have most everything in the way of yeast and hops on hand at all times.

Ya, I thought that might be off (your MO poundage).

My last Rye PA had those exact hops almost - (Warrior at 60, Cascade/Amarrilo at 15/10 and Citra at 5 and 0. Mosaic and Citra for dry hopping.) and is DELICIOUS.

Have the boil going right now. Added 3lb of dark dme to bump up the gravity and darken it a little more. Kinda wonder if I should have steeped some dark grains to get it a little blacker, kind of a dark brown now.

Planning on the following hops, largely driven by the desire to use up some cascade and Amarillo that had been in the freezer for a while. I may shuffle around the late and dry hops some.

60min: 1oz warrior
10min: 1oz cascade, 1oz Amarillo
5min: 2oz cascade, 2oz Amarillo
Flameout: 1oz cascade, 1oz Amarillo
Dry hop: 2oz cascade

Back