Pappy`s Pub Cider - Award Winner!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, just tried some of ours that has been sitting in secondary for a couple months. Wow, just wow!!! Award winner for sure. Gonna keg up five gallons and carb it and gonna put a little of it in the freezer too!!!

Correction 5 gallons in a week!!
Everyone LOVED it. Especially loved by the men at our party.
Reviews were "so tasty and the alcohol was in the finish not the foreground. "

The gals like the second edition. Added some additional cinnamon and cardamom extract and some more sugar. Call it the apple pie version. Well loved.

I used fresh pressed juice for the above :) and three FCAJ and cinnamon extract (homemade cinnamon sticks and vodka for about a week then drain)

Thank you for the recipe. I used all white sugar but the latest one making is part brown sugar and store bought not from concentrate.

Make this recipe. Period....

Thanks paps!!!!

I am currently running this recipe as the original post was written. I pitched yeast over 24 hours ago and no airlock activity yet. Should i be worried?

* I used the dry yeast and did not re hydrate
* I did use yeast nutrient.
* 3 gallons of apple cider, 2 gallons of Apple juice, all pasteurized no chemicals, 10 pounds of white sugar.

Should I just wait or purchase more yeast and try again?

Thanks again!

Paps, Thank you for the reply.

After giving it a good shake yesterday evening, it is has took off this morning.

In my very limited experience, fermentation has always started (some signs of it) in the first 24 hours. This looked dead the first 24 hours in the glass carboy.

Thanks

From 1.142
down to this.
My math could be off but i think that makes it 19.88% ABV

022.jpg

It's the Silver Medal the Oaked Barrel version of this cider took in the 2016
GLINTCAP. Avg BJCP score in the event was 41 so i have room to improve but was happy to get silver.

Depends on many factors - temp for one. I've had mine go down to .996 with a higher SG starting point but I added some yeast nutrient later on in fermentation and would rock the carboy once a day gently when the bubbling slowed (as per paps recommendation)

Found a picture of the 2016 Brewtoberfest Homebrew Competition on the internetz. I took the "Judges Choice" award. The previous year took "The peoples Choice" (they only had the peoples choice that year)
Here is yours truly filling up a bottle for somebody to take home with them.

Brewtober 2016edit-0234.jpg

Paps: Started on 12/31/16 SG was 1.120
Racked to Secondary 01/28/17 Gravity read 1.020
How much farther do you believe I have till bottling?

I really don't want to speculate as FG can vary widely from brewer to brewer.
1.020 down to 1.000 would = bottle bombs and i wouldn't want anyone to hurt themselfes following my advice (or at all for that matter)

As pictured above, the Oak Barrel version gets served "Still" and i pour it into bottles using a funnel. (It's allready oxidised from aging in a pourous wood barrel) The other flavors (regular,vanilla,cinnamon,ect) i make get put into a corny keg and get force carbed. I then fill bottles from the keg using a bottling wand crammed into a picnic tap.

I don't know if you personally can justify spending a few hundred on kegging equipment or not but i HIGHLY suggest it.
A brand new 2.5 corny can be bought for around $80 plus shipping and they are only maybe 2 inches taller than a sodai 2-litre bottle so you should be able to stuff the thing inside your regular fridge that you keep food in.
Also, the little mini CO2 chargers are pretty cheap.
I don't know what volume of CO2/carb they would get you to but it's got to be the cheapest way to get into kegging vs buying a whole tank,regulator,manifold,keezer,ect,ect,ect.

Paps:
Here's the good news. I inherited 5 5 gallon kegs, the CO2 bottle, regulator, etc.

The bad news. I just don't have the space to use them without angering SWMBO.

I'll hold it in secondary for awhile. It was rather active during transfer and our tasting. I'm going to check it in another month. If I need to I'll put it in a keg. I have an extra fridge in storage, the double door style that I might be able to use to store the 5 gallon kegs in.

Just racked off the cinnamon sticks and was going to put some SuperKleer into it...but it doesn't need it. Super clear after 3 months. The wife and I made four different batches of cider from what we picked up at the cider mills last October and we finished the previous three last week, to include the ice cider. She was pretty happy with them, but I think she would have loved this one...wish I had racked it a few days earlier. :(

I like it very much as a still cider...I'm thinking I will hold back a gallon from the keg carbonating and bottle some of it still.

Correction 5 gallons in a week!!
Everyone LOVED it. Especially loved by the men at our party.
Reviews were "so tasty and the alcohol was in the finish not the foreground. "

The gals like the second edition. Added some additional cinnamon and cardamom extract and some more sugar. Call it the apple pie version. Well loved.

I used fresh pressed juice for the above :) and three FCAJ and cinnamon extract (homemade cinnamon sticks and vodka for about a week then drain)

Thank you for the recipe. I used all white sugar but the latest one making is part brown sugar and store bought not from concentrate.

Make this recipe. Period....

Thanks paps!!!!

globell - can you share the details on your version above? Quantities of FAJC and Cinnamon? Thanks. I am a few weeks out but preparing!

Sure.
I purchased new cinnamon sticks from a reputable health food store. Good cinnamon. Did a combo of true cinnamon (a bit more citrusy than standard) and standard cinnamon sticks. (Don't worry. I didn't know there was two kinds either). Also bought cardamom in the pods. They are potent to a couple will do (but I buy more)

Sanitized a 500 mason jar. Broke the cinnamon so they would fit into the jar. Crush a cardamom pod/seeds with mortar and pestle and place in jar. Fill with vodka. Let sit for about a week or longer. Shake on occasion.

Being it was the first time I made this I was bad and didn't measure how much I added to the cider but I can say that the Apple pie version was added to the bottles at bottling time. It's to taste so about 1/2 tsp per 355ml bottle. Safe to start with 1/4 and I'd go upto 1 tsp and see how you like it. I get cinnamon blind after awhile so you might need to clear your palate. FYI

I guess it depends also on how much cinnamon in your vodka and how much gets into soution.
Do not use cinnamon extract from grocery store. This way is awesome. Tastes real and not chemically.

A quick shortcut is addition of fireball or goldschlager is also well received instead of homemade extract.

I add 3-5 cans of FCAJ depending on how the cider dries out/what the FG ends up to be

I've carb'd up mine. Loved it!!!

Just racked off the cinnamon sticks and was going to put some SuperKleer into it...but it doesn't need it. Super clear after 3 months. The wife and I made four different batches of cider from what we picked up at the cider mills last October and we finished the previous three last week, to include the ice cider. She was pretty happy with them, but I think she would have loved this one...wish I had racked it a few days earlier. :(

I like it very much as a still cider...I'm thinking I will hold back a gallon from the keg carbonating and bottle some of it still.

I've been following this thread for a little over two months now and made my first batch 8 weeks ago today. I noticed that nobody seems to have found a good solution for bottle carbing so I put on a little experiment.

Since the yeast stops because it is essentially overwhelmed by alcohol before it processes all the sugar, I figured rather than adding more fermentables it would be better to add more liquid. In the pic below, the orange balloon bottle is the one I added 2 oz of water to 9 oz of cider. The yellow one was 2 oz of juice instead. They've both been bubbling along slowly but consistently in the two weeks since moving to secondary (the yellow one has a small hole in it I believe).

When I bottle I plan on making different batches with different amounts of water/juice added to try and find the ideal ratio. I expect a few flat ones on the low end and bombs on the high end so I'm going to store them away as securely as I can.

In the meantime, has anyone else tried anything like this before? Any luck, good or bad?

IMG_2099.jpg

This recipe looks exactly like what I'm into: sweet, still (after stabilizing anyway), high alcohol, cheap, and simple to make. It's like this thing was made just for me! Now, I'm still very new to homebrewing, so I have a few questions. I've made a few 1 gallon ciders so I have a vague idea of what I'm doing, but there are still some particulars I don't understand, especially for larger batches.

I want to make 3 gallons of this. I have empty 3 gallon and 5 gallon carboys on hand. Given the large added volume from the sugar, should I primary in the 5 (with the intention of losing less when racking to a 3 gallon carboy for secondary)? The lengthy amount of time suggested for primary fermentation makes me worry about all the head space it would have in the 5. I know during the wild part of primary fermentation, the CO2 produced protects things pretty well. But that should end after about a week, right? Would I then have to rack to secondary to finish "primary", and then stabilize before racking to tertiary to settle? Because I'd rather just lose some juice in the 3 to avoid an extra racking in that case.

Hope the question makes sense...

To make 3 gallons.... you will HAVE to use a larger than 3 gallon container.
It is not physically possible to get 3 gallons of fluid AND 6 LBS of sugar into a 3 gallon jug.
ALSO.....this recipe magically (read science) makes more volume of fluid than what you start with (wont go into WHY, but it does)

Don't worry about headspace in primary fermentation...at all.
I don't "stabilize" with chemicals....father time will do it for you.
RACKING.......unless you are adding cinnamon or other flavorings/dry hopping, don't even bother racking. It's an uneeded step/why complicate things.
Hope this helps.

Thanks for the quick response!

Sorry, I wasn't being clear. I didn't mean 3 gallons out, I meant 3 gallons in (minus some amount of the liquid due to all the added sugar). My plan, better stated, is to either: primary in the 3 with 6lbs of sugar and as much juice as I can fit and rack to secondary after about a month losing some liquid in the process, or brew in the 5 with everything I've got and after racking and having a drink, have 3 gallons out. I think what I'm hearing is that it doesn't matter, just do whichever; the extra head space during primary won't affect the final product.

Racking for me is pretty much mandatory at the moment because I'm still trying to collect all the bottles that I need, and I was able to find some carboys quite cheap. I'm also interested in aging it with cinnamon sticks.

Since this recipe has so much sugar and won't (I think?) ferment completely dry even with EC-1118, don't I need to add K-meta to be able to trust that what I'm bottling is still? I plan to use 750ml wine bottles and corks.

Thanks!

You would be suprised at the tanacity of Lavlin EC-1118
I keg personally and TBH....IMHO, it's mandatory.
Pony up 200 bucks and get a corny keg and at least the little 18-gram CO2 cartriges. Well worth it. Even if you have to naturally carb in the keg.
Bottle bombs are a real danger and this recipe can make em.
On MANY occasion i find a layer of yeast sediment at the bottom of my kegs when i emty/clean them out. Only bottle if you can either keep the bottles in the fridge or consumed quikly.
For the cinnamon, i personally just put sticks in the keg itself. You `could` say that the cinnamon intensifies but what it does is mellow the rest of the drink as the cinnamon gets prominent. You can also try throwing in some vanilla extract (REAL stuff....no imitation bullshyte)
Hope this helps.

What was your final gravity using WLP-775?

just kegged my version and it came out amazing:

5 gallons topps applejuice
2.5# table sugar (added 2.5# every 3 days until all 10# are added (stirred every addition))
1 tblspn yeast nutrient
2 vials WLP775 English Cider
after 3 weeks i racked to secondary for 1 week and then cold crashed for 1 day and kegged.
AMAZING RECIPE! thank you PAPS!

Paps...Have you ever added tea bags or tannin? or are you getting that from aging barrel?

I took a batch of this and placed it in a used bourbon barrel i bought from a HBT sponsor (thank you farmhouse brewing supply) and took it to a local homebrew/chili contest. Giving out tiny samples the barrel kicked in about 4.5 hours. Had several people return for 2nds/3rds/ect, about 5 people asked me `how much for a bottle` and 2 veteran homebrewers came over to finish it off before it ws gone. I HIGHLY recommend oaking of this on bourbon.

Did you leave this in the barrel for 4.5 hours or did you empty the barrel in 4.5 hours?

I do a mock solera in the barrel.
That means that the cider spends plenty of time in it.
The event empties it out each time.
People go hog wild over it.

Paps...Have you ever added tea bags or tannin? or are you getting that from aging barrel?

No teas or tannins added.
ATM i make 4 versions of this cider
1 - regular (just plain ole apple)
2 - cinnamon
3 - vanilla ( i use 16-oz of an organic extract made from bourbon madagascar vanilla beans to a 5 gal corny keg, it's very prominent )
4 - the oak barrel aged version

out of the 4, i like #4 the most. I'm sure it picks up some tannins from the oak. It has a whiskey like quality and flavor about it without having to add whiskey.

I plan on adding more variations in the finishing such as maybe dry hopping a batch with Mosaic or perhaps Ammarillo hops.
"Dry hopping" with nuts such as pecans,walnuts, or almonds.
Also thinking about blending with other fruit wines and meads.
Picture a "Bochet Cider"....i just need the time and motivation....and perhaps a fermentor to open up for it.
-prost

I do a mock solera in the barrel.
That means that the cider spends plenty of time in it.
The event empties it out each time.
People go hog wild over it.

I bet people love it!! Just putting another batch on tonight. Half fresh press and half not from concentrate juices.

also added some whiskey barrel chips soaked in rum to my last batch and what a difference!!! Makes it much more complex and dare I say sophisticated tasting! (and it was only a short soak)

Just a visual of what Pappys recipe uses (with a twist, i prefer some brown sugar). It makes a great high abv sweet wine and it just happens to make a great starter for applejack!

Just started purchasing items for my keg setup, very excited to keg this recipe!

Just tasted this, been fermenting for 1.5 months and sitting at about 1.028.

Man, is it smooth!!

My Pappy's Cinnamon Pub Cider won a Silver at the 12th Annual Peterson AFB Homebrew Fest last night in the Specialty Cider & Perry combined category! Pretty much took Pap's recipe and scaled it to the three gallons of cider I had obtained from a local orchard. Used 3 cinnamon sticks in the secondary. That gave a lot of cinnamon flavor! Might cut back a bit next time...but will think about it as I drink the rest. Added the two part clarifier and force carbed. Did nothing in the realm of back sweetening...it came out perfect all on its own.

My late Wife's New World Cider, her first ever competition entry, also took a Silver. She had back-sweetened it two nights before she passed.

My condolences on your wifes passing.
And congratulations on both of your's medals.

Just did three gallons of this with my buddy before an extract session IPA kit. 10 quarts apple juice, 4 lbs white sugar and two pounds dark brown. Should be awesome. Thanks Paps. 1.106 og.

Back