Panty hose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justbrewit

Zythos Conisseur
Reaction score
i know its an off the wall question, but has any one ever used panty hose for maybe a hops bag or grain bag?? i'm kinda cheap and kinda limited as to what i can order. i figured that this would be a good idea, unless someone else has other ideas??

what say you??

Yes, I've used them. If they are not new, boil them for about 20 minutes before use. Athlete's foot spores are tough. They also do a great job filtering hops and cold break out of the wort.

the ones i'll be using are brand spanking new!! i'm not about to put foot funk into my beer!! haha

nope, i'm married!! only thing i'm robbing is her chance to spend all my money buy spending it on home brew stuff!!!! LOL

They also work great as filters when racking. Rubber band one to the downstream end of your siphon hose, and it will catch a lot of stuff. Cool thing is, they're cheap. I use the short ones. You can get them about 20 to a pack for around two bucks. That's a lot of filtering for your buck. I, too, had wondered about using them as grain bags. Was gonna do a boil test. Seems someone already has. Good enough for me ! :D

justbrewit said:
nope, i'm married!! only thing i'm robbing is her chance to spend all my money buy spending it on home brew stuff!!!! LOL

Don't be surprised if one day she's followed home by a bunch of beeraholics :drunk: because the panty hose you've been using smells like homebrew! :rolleyes:

shoot, once they get used, their stayin with my homebrew gear, no funky foot in my batches!!!

I was going to make a sick joke about being careful of wild yeast strains in used pantyhose, but since gibfried is getting sick from this, I think I'll pass on the joke.

-walker

Walker said:
I was going to make a sick joke about being careful of wild yeast strains in used pantyhose, but since gibfried is getting sick from this, I think I'll pass on the joke.

Yeah, I was going to expand on that sick joke with another one involving a play on words with 'lambic' and an anatomical term, but this is really going too far.

ok ok, lets try and get this thread back on track. enough with the nasties, any one else tried using them??

Ok, seriously. I use them when I mash, but not during the boil, and only in my garage. I like the long ones, the darker the better. just make sure you don't get too close to your burners becuase they will melt to your legs, and it really hurts.

Latest posts

Back