Panic buying

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blasterooni

PIpe line is now well established
Reaction score
So, at this point we all k now what that is. At any rate, while I was at the store awhile back, everyone was pulling TP and other stuff off the shelves. Guess what I stocked up on...Apple Juice! I certainly have enough juice to produce cider to last through this pandemic and then some lol. Now I just need more 750ml bottles that can be crown capped...

My wife’s brother and SIL live in Clarkston, WA. Just up the river, on the Idaho side, is the
Clearwater paper mill, which produces mass quantities of paper products. The SIL posted this excerpt from an article in the local paper this morning.

F70A84B3-096A-4962-8887-594EEC0B83C5.jpeg

WTF are people thinking? It’s not as if we import TP from countries that don’t like us :rolleyes:.

Just a guess. In the event of a real lock down people don't want to run out. That's the start of the run, then it's the rest of us don't want to run out because of the hording. I can remember something similar happening to .22 ammo about 10-15 years ago, happened with primers prior to that.

I was at Costco a few days ago. It was the first time I had seen tp or paper towels there since this tp shortage started. They had it figured out. Signs that said tp and other high demand items weren't returnable with limits of one each per cart. One way down the paper aisle with an employee handing out what you wanted.

I predict there will be big sales on tp in a few months because nobody will be buying it. The thing I didn't expect was the lack of whole chickens. Still lots of booze, the horders haven't figured that one out yet.

I "accidentally" hoarded 3x our normal purchase of a 2-3 month supply of TP. About 2 weeks ago I figured we needed some in 3-4 weeks and I couldn't find it anywhere online. I became obsessed, checking a few times a day. Just missed some at Costco. Finally found it at Walmart so I ordered it but it was almost 2 weeks out. I figured that was iffy and the order might get cancelled so I kept looking. Found it on Amazon subscribe-and-save, which is always iffy, for delivery about the same time. Figured I'd probably get at least one of them but then this past week I found some on Amazon for delivery in 3 days so I ordered that. I figured as soon as it shipped I'd cancel the rest. They all shipped within 20 minutes on the same day! I'll have a total of 84 rolls by Monday.

Going to ask amongst our friends to see if anyone needs some. Otherwise I guess we are set for the year.

We're a couple weeks from needing our usual stuff at Costco. I tried to order online Friday but kept getting errors trying to check out that stuff I had in my cart was out of stock. I'll have to try again this week Talking stuff like trash bags, coffee, paper towels, tissues, deoderant, etc. Worst case we can buy normal sizes at Kroger.

Last edited:
Now that the biz is shut down I have a case and a half of 9” jumbo roll tp, probably 3 gallons of lemon neutral disinfectant, few cases of shredded cheese, two freezers filled with shrimp, ground beef, octopus, basa fillets, tripe, etc etc. Not to mention a full bars worth of liquor. And maybe 60bbls of beer that is ......um, aging.

Now that the biz is shut down I have a case and a half of 9” jumbo roll tp, probably 3 gallons of lemon neutral disinfectant, few cases of shredded cheese, two freezers filled with shrimp, ground beef, octopus, basa fillets, tripe, etc etc. Not to mention a full bars worth of liquor. And maybe 60bbls of beer that is ......um, aging.

SF is too far for me to go. There has to be a market for what you have. Did you operate a food establishment?

Yep. Did to go cocktails and booze for a minute. Not really worth it. As long as food it’s in the freezer it’s fine. Health dept was getting pissy about non prepared/fresh foods some folks were selling so we just dumped what the employees didn’t take home or we couldn’t freeze. Luckily it’s around the corner from the house so we’re not too worried about running out of tp or something to eat.

Almost 20 rolls of the jumbo tp. It ain’t the softest but it gets the job done.

So, at this point we all k now what that is. At any rate, while I was at the store awhile back, everyone was pulling TP and other stuff off the shelves. Guess what I stocked up on...Apple Juice! I certainly have enough juice to produce cider to last through this pandemic and then some lol. Now I just need more 750ml bottles that can be crown capped...

so you're the reason i couldn't get my 10 gallons...:smh: making me work harder and brew more beer again!

That's the start of the run, then it's the rest of us don't want to run out because of the hording

i always hated buying tp anyway, just gave me an excuse to find an alternative, washable solution.....

so you're the reason i couldn't get my 10 gallons...:smh: making me work harder and brew more beer again!

The way those gallon jugs of juice have been disappearing quicker than usual leads me to believe there are other home cider makers doing the same thing

i always hated buying tp anyway, just gave me an excuse to find an alternative, washable solution.....

In India, we used a cup of water and the left hand...pretty nasty, but when in Rome

Back