Pale ale stuck at 1.024

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sherma

Reaction score
Brewed the Oddsides Citra pale ale on 2-17. All grain
Mashed at 152
2-row 88%
Flaked wheat 6%
Crystal 40 4%
Crystal 60 2%
OG 1.068

Used WLP001 with proper amount of yeast cells. Ambient temp stayed between 63 and 66 during fermentation.

Gravity on 2-27 was 1.024. I roused the yeast and warmed up the fermenter to about 70%. Gravity on 3-2 was 1.024. Roused yeast again. Gravity on 3-5 was still 1.024.

I bottled 2 other WLP001 batches last weekend that attenuated 80% and 82% and they were fermenting in the same room as this citra pale ale.

Any ideas why this one won't go lower? Am I looking at bottle bombs?

maybe your thermometer was off and your mash temp was actually higher than you though leaving you with a less fermentable wort...

I would say if it's been stable you are safe if you are worring about bottle bombs, leave it another week if you are that worried about it

How are you measuring the FG? I only ask because there was a thread the other day titled "Don't use a refractometer to measure FG, your Ale is not stuck at 1.024"....or something very similar. Maybe coincidence or maybe one too many for me (today is my friday).

You mashed at 152F? That's quite high if you wanted a dry beer. That's going to leave a lot of unfermentable dextrins.

Also, did you check your thermometer lately? Bring some water to boil, and then let it boil for 3-4 minutes (just to make sure it's the strongest 100C you can have), and then measure temp.

Bad thermometer calibration plus too high temp mash might give a dextrinous wort... 1.024 is pretty high indeed....

Thanks for the replies. :)

Regarding the mash temp, I was following this recipe: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/citra-pale-ale-oddsides-clone-375338/

I only use a hydrometer. Every time I use it, I check it first in room temperature water.

I check my thermometer frequently in boiling water, but not every time I use it.

Actually, now that I look at the recipe again, it lists the OG at 1.058. I hit 1.068. Would starting 10 points higher mean I would HAVE TO finish about 10 points higher?

Starting higher will leave you a LITTLE higher, but not by the same range at all... If you reach 80% attenuation, 80% of those points should be left in the final gravity... So only 2 more points... not 10.

I'm sure you tasted at least one of the 1.024 samples. Did it taste sweet? Because for me a 1.024 beer tastes freaking sweet :drunk: , especially if it's not a high gravity beer.

Actually, now that I look at the recipe again, it lists the OG at 1.058. I hit 1.068. Would starting 10 points higher mean I would HAVE TO finish about 10 points higher?

Nope... not in your case anyway. Did you actually take an OG reading?

I'd probably trying adding a healthy dose of US-05 and hope for the best. Good luck...

Nope... not in your case anyway. Did you actually take an OG reading?

I'd probably trying adding a healthy dose of US-05 and hope for the best. Good luck...

Yes, I took an OG reading at pitch temp.

I'm sure you tasted at least one of the 1.024 samples.

Did it taste sweet? Because for me a 1.024 beer tastes freaking sweet :drunk: , especially if it's not a high gravity beer.

Yes, I tasted both. It was a little sweet, but not undrinkable sweet.

Back