Pale ale malt uses

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fortunately I'm not writing a technical document at this moment.

^^^^ I guess their 17.5% off isn't that much of a deal for me. Shipping to Arizona is $26.01...thus total price is $59.

I can buy GW 2-Row at my LHBS for $53 and Rahr 2-Row from NB for $54.99 including shipping. Plus, with GW and Rahr, I don't have to worry about color nor do I have to worry about efficiency since both of those DPs are twice as much as the Viking.....

Ah ok. This sale probably isn't as good as the last one then... I don't remember the exact details, but I know the bag made it to my door for ~$42

FWIW my calculator says 76.6% extract efficiency in the smash above, with rollers set to .035"

Ah ok. This sale probably isn't as good as the last one then... I don't remember the exact details, but I know the bag made it to my door for ~$42

I appreciate you posting the sale....17.5% off is still a savings. The shipping cost is the killer even though I am right next door state wise.

For me, I will be sticking with GW and gradually switching over to Rahr 2-row (I have 150lbs of GW) to use as my base grain. Their diastatic powers are 141 and 131 respectively as compared with Vikings 60-65ish that was posted as coming from Viking.

It sounds like you are having success in using Viking!

I just ordered some Viking "brewer's malt" is this pale malt? I always wondered what "brewers malt" means...

anyway, wish I knew about that $40 deal...I think my order was about $55 shipped :/

‘Brewers Malt’ is usually the term a maltster uses for their lightest color offering. It serves as a base malt ‘blank slate’ to build the beer recipe upon. It can be used as a suitable substitute for ‘Pilsner’ malt, ‘Lager’ Malt, or ‘2-row’ which are names used by various maltster for their lightest color offering.

‘Brewers Malt’ is usually the term a maltster uses for their lightest color offering. It serves as a base malt ‘blank slate’ to build the beer recipe upon. It can be used as a suitable substitute for ‘Pilsner’ malt, ‘Lager’ Malt, or ‘2-row’ which are names used by various maltster for their lightest color offering.
"Brewers Malt" or "Lager Malt" will also be their most enzymatic and most highly modified if there are multiple offerings of the same very light color, making it suitable for adjunct brewing, while a similar color malt with a lower modification and enzyme level intended specifically for all malt brewing may be designated as "Pilsner Malt."

Here is my 100% Viking Pale Ale Malt brew. I has quite a nice color and the flavor is...okay. A bit one dimensional and thin but some of that could just be my bias knowing the ingredients.

I have a plan to brew several Single Malt Pale Ale batches with a variety of base grains, and this is my first. I did a 2.5 gal batch hopped with Columbus, Amarillo and Citra. It was my first time using WLP051 California Ale V. I might need to scale back the hops a little due to the lack of sweetness in the grain bill.

20191121_202150.jpg

How many pounds of grain was it?
Mine was 14.5lb in a 5gal batch; "thin" is not how I would have described mine. I think mine was a little darker too.

How many pounds of grain was it?
Mine was 14.5lb in a 5gal batch; "thin" is not how I would have described mine. I think mine was a little darker too.

5 lbs in a 2.5 gal batch. OG was 1.047, FG 1.012, ABV 4.6%. (I planned for 1.051 but messed up my strike water volume by half a gallon.) Overall I figured it would be a bit bland without any specialty malts in there. I need to drink up the Porter in my other small keg and brew another batch...Maris Otter, Golden Promise, Briess 2-Row and Pilsner are planned.

Here is my 100% Viking Pale Ale Malt brew. I has quite a nice color and the flavor is...okay. A bit one dimensional and thin but some of that could just be my bias knowing the ingredients.

I have a plan to brew several Single Malt Pale Ale batches with a variety of base grains, and this is my first. I did a 2.5 gal batch hopped with Columbus, Amarillo and Citra. It was my first time using WLP051 California Ale V. I might need to scale back the hops a little due to the lack of sweetness in the grain bill.

View attachment 653483

That's good looking beer. Congratulations.

Unless using Munich or Vienna seems most SMaSH beers would come out kind of thin and bland.

All the Best,
D. White

Latest posts

Back