Pale ale biscuit malt amount

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaké6

Reaction score
Brewing a pale ale with some Munich 6.2 L and a pound of 10 L caramel. Want to also have some biscuit character to finish off. How much would y’all say is a right amount? Right now I have it set for 1.7% of the grist. Also, have any of y’all tried chinook and cascade together, what’s your opinions on that?

Brewing a pale ale with some Munich 6.2 L and a pound of 10 L caramel. Want to also have some biscuit character to finish off. How much would y’all say is a right amount? Right now I have it set for 1.7% of the grist. Also, have any of y’all tried chinook and cascade together, what’s your opinions on that?
I personally would just go with biscuit, Munich or c10 instead of blending them, pale ales are still hop focused and I have a feeling those malt notes will just wrap into one. Obviously this is based on my preference for the style

That being said, I would use at least 3% if I want it that true biscuit character to come through.

Do I even need the caramel/crystal at this point and would 9oz of Munich be plenty to replace the caramel/crystal?

Personally for my APA's I like ~90-95% pale and the rest a light crystal (up to ~60L). That said, I have also done a 50/50 pale/munich I from Weyermann with about 4% Crisp crystal 60l and was quite pleased.

As far as chinook/cascade... in my mind that is a classic American Hop pairing perfect for pale ales... I love that combo.

Back