Painting PID Controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nick sekerak

Reaction score
I want to paint may controller box anyone have any tips. Thinking of doing it in metallic black. I am assuming you tape off everything and spray paint.

Just looking for some tips from people who have done it. What worked best and what not to do...

I used Rustoleum primer and textured black paint spray cans purchased at the local hardware store. Textured paint makes it easier to hide imperfections in enclosure and spraying technique, but you can get a great smooth finish close to powder coating if you prep the surface well, and slowly build up the layers with ultra thin coats.

Best way is to remove all components, and then spray enclosure. I know it's a pain if you already have it assembled, but masking will not give you good results. I would recommend one coat of spray primer, and at least 2 coats of paint. Adhesion is very important, so make sure you sand well to get rid of oil, rust etc., then use a tack cloth to clean before spraying, and let each coat dry fully before moving on. Do very light coats to prevent paint running.

I propped mine up with a smaller cardboard box sitting on an inverted bucket over a tarp. If you have a hinged door, remove the hinge pin and paint the two pieces separately. If adhesion is not good, you will see small spots flaking over time, exposing the color underneath.

Good luck!

Someone here had a really cool wrap that his wife made...looked liked carbon fiber. Now that I have my Auber cube, I was going to try to find him to see if he could do one for me.

If I ever build a metal control box (my current one is a large plastic junction box) I would strip the exterior surfaces down to bare metal, rough them up with a wire brush to add some texture, then let it develop a bit of flash rust for a few days before buffing the surface with several wipe coats of penetrol to lock down the finish and inhibit further rust. With lots of use, areas around knobs, switches, touch-points, corners etc. will develop further patina which can always be sealed again with more penetrol. I would also look into making or ordering stamped brass name plates to label all the switches and knobs, and rivet them onto the front panel.

The contrast between distressed, wear-polished steel and bright chrome switches, jet-black controllers, colorful indicator lamps, etc. would be pretty cool. Variations on the metal surface prep could be a repeating swirl pattern (so-called engine turn) like the instrument panel from a vintage race car, or gun bluing, other reactive treatments, stains, etc. or maybe even attempt a DIY electrode brush plated copper finish.

Back