Pacman

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chocotaco

Reaction score
Hi,

I had some Rogue Yellow Snow IPA today and it has this huge tropical fruit/peach aroma and flavor that I really liked. I mean I wouldn't like it in EVERY beer, but for this one it worked really well for me.

I figured this must come from the yeast, but when I looked it up I found that it's fermented with Pacman which has a reputation for being really clean.

So my question is; what's the deal? Is this not a yeast flavor, or did they ferment at a higher temp to achieve this? What's your experience (if any) with Pacman at various temperatures?

I've used it a few times to do a red and an IPA at around 63. It attenuated around 86% and was super aggressive, the flavor clean but I noticed it had a citrus and peachy aroma from the gas the starter was blowing off and also during fermentation. The flavor or aroma didn't seem to be in the finished beer though. It might be a combination of the yeast and hops in yellow snow.

Think the tropical flavors are due to the Amarillo hops, not yeast. Pacman is a great yeast though.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I agree, Pacman is a dependable strain for sure, but it is also very clean flavour wise

Yeah, forgot to follow up. I e-mailed Rogue and they said it's the 2lbs of hops per bbl rather than yeast esters that I'm smelling. It just smelled really ester-y to me if that makes sense.

Back