Packaging my cider.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redpappy

Reaction score
This is my 3rd batch of cider that I have done. First one I did a dry sparkling, second was a dry still. This one I plan on back sweetening. I have always bottled, till now. I am not sure if my process will work or not, so I thought I would ask. I am looking for a semi sweet cider.

I have a spare keg floating around, so I am planning on using it. If I a add .75grams of sorbate per gal (Directions from more beer( 5 gal batch)) and add 2 cans of frozen apple juice (thawed of course). I’m not wanting a sparkling cider, so I plan on hooking up the co2 to purge the o2 from the keg, then disconnecting it. Only reconnecting Co2 to serve. The keg will be sitting out of the keezer ( no room), on the concrete floor. My basement stays between 64-68. I plan to fill a growler and chill.

thanks in advance

Adding sorbate by itself is incomplete. Sorbate prevents reproduction, but does not affect fermentation. You have to 1. remove as much yeast as possible (cold crash +/- gelatin), then 2. add both sorbate and metabisulphite (Camden) to stop fermentation before backsweetening.

Adding sorbate by itself is incomplete. Sorbate prevents reproduction, but does not affect fermentation. You have to 1. remove as much yeast as possible (cold crash +/- gelatin), then 2. add both sorbate and metabisulphite (Camden) to stop fermentation before backsweetening.
Thanks for the advise. Went through my stash.. I do have some camped tablets. I'm guessing to follow instructions and add 1 tablet per gal. Would it be best to crush and toss in fermentor along with the sorbet. Then wait a few days before racking to my keg? At this time, don't have a means to cold crash, nor do i have any gelatin on hand.

When you say sorbate are you talking about potassium sorbate? I thought potassium sorbate was enough to prevent refermentation for back sweeting.

When you say sorbate are you talking about potassium sorbate? I thought potassium sorbate was enough to prevent refermentation for back sweeting.
Yes we are.

I seen this response on another thread, thought I would share since they explain the reason behind using both.
I agree with the previous posts. But it is important to understand why the 2 should be used and what they are actually doing.

Potassium sorbate will generally prevent the yeast from reproducing. They are still there but reproduction is heavily halted. This may not completely do the job which is where campden tablets come in for the one-two punch.

Camden tables are a packaged, tablet form of sodium or potassium metabisulfite (which are technically different but do the same thing and generally considered interchangeable and often enough referred to as KMB). KMB sterilizes the environment and has a number of benefits preventing oxidation and killing bacteria which are also good in the bottle. KMB "inhibits" yeast killing off many weaker ones but, again, may not do the job completely which is why you don't want the survivors to reproduce - hence the potassium sorbate. KMB also degrades as it does it's job which is why you add every couple rackings when new yeasts are likely to be introduced. You can't just add once and know that it will forever protect your wine. So making sure the population can't easily grow back is important.

It is true neither will do the job completely but when used together, you create an environment in the bottle that helps keep things under control in most cases.

There are other threads that go into details as well: Difference between campden tablets and potassium sorbate.

Latest posts

Back