Pacifica hops, what style to brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin0782

Reaction score
So I've got some Pacifica hops. 4 oz worth. Never used them before, and have no idea what style the might work well in, or what hops to pair them with. I've read they have citrus and orange characteristics. I thought about maybe using them with some Cascade in a pale ale or IPA. But, that's just a shot in the dark. Any ideas from people who have used them? Thoughts on their flavor and aroma? I am kind of scared of using these because the only other NZ hop I've tried (Rakau), I really did not like at all.

Experiment. Do a small batch SMASH or at least, just that hop so you know what it will do. Or, you could make a small cup of hop tea and taste it. Maybe brew some cascade tea as well and mix them.

I used them in equal parts with Centennial in an amber a while back. Could definitely pick up waaaay more sweet orange in the aroma, but they just seemed to bulk up the normal Centennial flavor. Went very well with all the caramel malts I used in that beer.

Well, I love Centennial hops and use them a lot, so I'll keep that in mind. Gonna be a bit before I get around to using the Pacifica, but I like to plan ahead.

Im Drinking a craft beer made in Sydney called Murray's Angry Man Pale Ale. It claims a spicy/citrusy aroma and flavour from NZ Motueka and Pacifica hops. Ive never heard of pacifica prior to this but what i can tell you is that it would rate as one of the best craft brewed pale ales ive ever tasted.

Pacifica pale ale with Dr.Rudi - name of recipe! (APA)
Batch size: 50 litres
Malts: 10kg pale ale, 0,5kg crystal, 0,5 amber, 0,5kg oats flaked
Hops: Dr.Rudi 28grams - 60min
Pacifica 55g - 30min
Pacifica 45g - 15min
Bitternes: 35,8
Color: 8,5 SRM
ABV: 5,3
Water profile for this beer, or I will playing with calculator?

I've used them in the cottage house saison. Like the other poster mentioned, they add a nice "jucy" orange component to the beer. I really liked them and want to use them again.

I've recently used them in a IPA with a 50/50 mix of Pacifica and Galaxy. Though I haven't had the opportunity to taste it yet. I've heard from others that it is a nice combo.

Please update when you have a change. I am curious how pacifica would work in an IPA, though with the pungency of Galaxy, it may be hard to determine.

Yes, very god, but I need a profile water for this beer!
For now, I will copy a profile water from SNPA clone!

Ok, rewiew of this beer.

2ewl1qp.jpg

First of all, it's cloudy, i don't no why because I was put irish moss, and after fermentation, I put my beer on cold crash for three days.
Taste: When you smell it, it's smell's sweetnes, amber is excellent!
When you drink it - malt with pacifica represent a very nice beer.
Cheers...

Latest posts

Back