P-J's computer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThreeDogsNE

Good for what ales you
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone know if P-J's computer got replaced? I had cause to go all the way through the thread on P-J's diagrams (I just got a BCS-462 - happy birthday to me!). In it he mentioned that he was still using an old box running Windows XP. After all that he has done for this forum, it seemed pretty sad to have him stuck with an outdated and inadequate machine. I saw a few guys offer to contribute towards replacing his computer. I could not tell if it ever came to pass. If it has not already happened, I would be happy to contribute. I would not mind spearheading this, but handling the funds gets interesting. Could we run a fund here, since HBT has the ability to run credit cards?

My advice is to take this private, rather than posting publicly. You can PM him and see what the computer situation is and what he is or is not comfortable with. Asking the forum administrators privately before publicly asking if they would collect donations for an individual would have been best, also, I think.

P-J "liked" my comment of support a couple of days ago in the "P-J's diagrams" thread, in which I also offered to contribute. He did not reply to clarify whether or not it had been taken care of, either in public or in a PM. At least three guys publicly offered in that thread to contribute to replacing his computer. They did this a while before I read it this past week, and before I posted this question. I did not see an outcome to those public posts. Their offers were public, not private. Posting an opportunity for others to contribute is, of necessity, public. Is this query against the rules of the forum, and I missed that part? Against the etiquette of the forum, which I am missing? I have no interest in stepping on anyone's toes, moderator or otherwise. TxBrew still owns the site, right? If the owner doesn't do this, for whatever reason, then the answer to "could we" would be a simple no, would it not? Please help me understand why asking in a forum is an issue.

I don't know much about Kickstarter. If potential contributors appear, I suppose I can learn more.

Unfortunately, the query has no positive responses yet, so it appears likely that it won't end up mattering.

No, your post does not violate any rules that I can think of. I was making a suggestion, which you are free to ignore, that if you want to know his computer situation you should ask him directly. If someone posted publicly about my inability to buy something for myself, I might find that embarrassing.

I'm not a forum administrator so can't speak for them about whether they would accept contributions. I think Homercidal's suggestion that you might open a PayPal account to accept payments makes a lot of sense.

I think that starting a paypal account, where people can electronically send funds, makes it really easy.

With Kickstarter, you can set a goal and people can contribute to help fund the project.

So if you were to set a price limit of about $1000 for a new computer, people can send in $10 each or whatever, and everyone can track the progress, and I think it encourages people when they see others donating and see the goal being realized.

And we have a forum in this site where you can place a homebrewing or beer-related kickstarter (or other crowdfunding) link.

I, like many electric brewing participants, have reviewed many of P-J's drawings. He even built one specifically for me when I was considering a BIAB single vessel. I never used it, but I was able to take parts of 2 or 3 different drawings and build my 3 vessel 2 element panel. If providing him with the means of helping current and future HBT folks to accomplish their goals is a donation to a paypal or kickstarter, count me in.

Last edited:
I'm in for $10. Desktop pc's and laptops are cheap these days. Even $300 gets you a very usable computer. I've benefitted from one of his diagrams and I'm just one lurker. I'm sure there's more of us out there.

Latest posts

Back