Oxygenation of Wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hellsreach

Reaction score
So, I am going to change from aerating my wort via shaking a stirring to forced oxygen via aeration stone. I don't think it will be cost effective to buy an oxygen tank to keep, so I just wanted to make sure that it is safe to use disposable cans of oxygen like the Worthington Benz-o-matic oxygen you can pick up at Home Depot and Lowes to oxygenate my wort (yes, I will have a 23 micron inline hepa filter). I know it's just a name, but the "Benz" in the Benzomatic has be worried that it might contain benzene.

Last edited:
They should be OK. They can't have anything like benzene in it since that would spontaneously combust in the presence of pure oxygen. Those tanks might have some nitrogen or CO2, but they should be otherwise pretty pure oxygen.

Never had a problem. I was kicking myself for not doing it sooner. Anyone know how to dispose of them legally

So, I am going to change from aerating my wort via shaking a stirring to forced oxygen via aeration stone. I don't think it will be cost effective to buy an oxygen tank to keep, so I just wanted to make sure that it is safe to use disposable cans of oxygen like the Worthington Benz-o-matic oxygen you can pick up at Home Depot and Lowes to oxygenate my wort (yes, I will have a 23 micro inline heap filter). I know it's just a name, but the "Benz" in the Benzomatic has be worried that it might contain benzene.
Go for it and rest assured there is nothing to be concerned about. I've been using the same Home Depot O2 tanks for years and they're fine. In fact buy two of them and keep one as a backup. Like Co2 tanks they tend to run out just when you need them the most.

The small ones you get at Home Depot/Lowes/etc should be disposable. I always ensure mine are completely empty (why else would you get rid of them) and then just toss them in the trash.

mt e.jpg
You have to take your empty oxygen bottles to Mount Everest.

It was around 300 bucks if I remember correctly but I actually bought a regulator an oxygen tank to run my 5 Micron Stone and I buy Aviation oxygen a little more expensive but I don't use a filter that way

It was around 300 bucks if I remember correctly but I actually bought a regulator an oxygen tank to run my 5 Micron Stone and I buy Aviation oxygen a little more expensive but I don't use a filter that way

And I'm not throwing away my empty canisters which would probably be be used as a good pistol Target before they hit the trash anyways

The small ones you get at Home Depot/Lowes/etc should be disposable. I always ensure mine are completely empty (why else would you get rid of them) and then just toss them in the trash.
You have to cut them open or drill a hole in them before legally tossing them in the trash. just like empty propane bottles otherwise you are creating potential problems like explosions and missles for the waste management team since they become pressurized when crushed and can explode violently.

Speaking of O2 and using a 5micron stone, anyone else have issues with mold growing in the stone?? I have had it grow twice in a row, each time i scrub and soak in StarSan for aabout an hour, then i use them and have not had any issues. But how do you prevent that from molding up?? i tried ziplock back with sanitzer, cool dry place, etc

lots of places. i bought a new one and traded it in for a full one at a welding place for about $10. it was hard to see my shiny new tank swapped out for a rusty 30 year old tank, but it should last for still years to come.

if you're penny pinching you could always try the CL route, but if you want convenience you can find them on the internet new and used for less than what a half dozen of those Bernz bottles will cost you.

Speaking of O2 and using a 5micron stone, anyone else have issues with mold growing in the stone?? I have had it grow twice in a row, each time i scrub and soak in StarSan for aabout an hour, then i use them and have not had any issues. But how do you prevent that from molding up?? i tried ziplock back with sanitzer, cool dry place, etc

i put mine in my strike water tank and boil it every time i use it. after use i rinse it out while gas is still flowing.

I just did the same thing this spring and filled it up with Aviation oxygen
i bought a 20 cu ft o2 tank when i first started brewing. 8 years later i'm still on the same tank and it still has >1000 psi on the gauge. hydro test stamp is way out of date now.

I picked up this beater steel 20cf O2 cylinder from the local AirGas fill station about 13 years ago, got the med grade reg off eBay for cheap (ironically, I've been hooked up to that same model reg a few times in my life ;))

Best as I can recall I'm still on my third fill - and I tend to be aggressive with the O2, using it on my starters as well as my brews...

ab_nov_01_2005_04_sm.jpg

Cheers!

So using the burnzomatics you should not need a filter( bc i have never used one), and same with a large O2 bottle? Just a regulator of course?

Aviation oxygen is different and handled different than regular oxygen is why I don't use a filter. I would recommend a filter on those little Home Depot canisters or the O2 canisters for oxygen and acetylene torches

I was able to because we are close to the big military Air Base here in Spokane if that makes a difference. I got a down at oxarc

They told me it is highly more regulated then your regular oxygen and the highest quality you can get without having a medical license thing to get it in other words it is I guess one step lower than medical oxygen but higher than the oxygen you use for your torches

Back