oxygen regulator for co2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iasquith

Reaction score
hi,
does anyone know if I can use a regulator that is calibrated for oxygen for use with co2 Ive heard some peolple are using them but I just wondered about the pressures that are exerted .
thanks

The fitting on your Co2 cylinder is a CGA 320 and the fitting on the O2 is most likely a CGA 510, unfortunately I don't see an adapter listed for your application.

It is more than likely for safety's sake they are not offered. If they made an adapter and it was used in Co2 service, then removed and the regulator was put back into O2 service the potential for a catastrophic failure would greatly increase.

Any contaminant in almost pure O2 environment @ 2300psi. can become fuel and cause a chain of really bad events.

Last edited by a moderator:
iasquith, sorry just noticed your from Brazil. Your fittings may be different but I would still suggest not mixing Co2 with O2 apparatus.

Cheers...:mug:

Just remove the connector from the body of the regulator and replace it with the CO2 connector. A regulator is a regulator, it doesn't care what the gas type is. Some are better suited than others. Check the output pressure of the regulator, it needs to go lower than 70 kpa (10 psi) or you will not be able to fine tune your carbonation and dispensing. I have one like that.

The fitting on your Co2 cylinder is a CGA 320 and the fitting on the O2 is most likely a CGA 510, unfortunately I don't see an adapter listed for your application.

It is more than likely for safety's sake they are not offered. If they made an adapter and it was used in Co2 service, then removed and the regulator was put back into O2 service the potential for a catastrophic failure would greatly increase.

Any contaminant in almost pure O2 environment @ 2300psi. can become fuel and cause a chain of really bad events.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwFRYlJQ6RQ

O2 uses CGA 540

I have a mini regulator that i purchased for airbrushing.. i used to fill an air tank and use it to regulate the psi to the brush... i am not using it now since i bought a real compressor but its got some writing on the bottom that says..
"Not for Bottled Gas"... i really want to repurpose this for my portable co2 kegerator... but i wonder if it will accep the higher pressure from a paintball tank..
it reads:
Pmax=250 psi (1700kPa)

is that max pressure of the inlet? does anyone know what the max pressure output of a paintball tank is?

is that max pressure of the inlet? does anyone know what the max pressure output of a paintball tank is?

not going to work unfortunately. all CO2 tank pressures are in the 600-1000psi range normally, and the equipment really should be rated for 1500 minimum to give you some headroom. 2000-3000 psi ranting would be best.

Thanks.. thats what i figured... i picked up my 20oz paintball tank filled last night... going to buy a conversion kit.

As someone who works in the piping trades, it is not excepted practice to use a regulator built for a particular type of gas for another type of gas! Can you probably get away with it? Yes. Should you? Absolutely not!

okay.. so i bought a co2 paintball tank... and it doesnt have any regulator on it.. only the brass fitting with the pin in it...

I'm thinking all i need is an ON/OFF valve with primary gauge so that i can hook up a secondary... is that right?

I just dont know exactly what i need at this point i also have seen some aquarium regulators that work at lower pressures for these tanks should they work... Or do I just go and buy a premade "built" regulator/conversion from a homebrew site..?

decisions decisions..

you need an actual high pressure regulator. paintball tanks have what are called "ASA" fittings/valves. you can get an ASA on\off adapter (google "paintball tank remote") and plumb that into the side of a normal co2 regulator, which is what i did.

you can also get an adapter that goes from an ASA valve, to a standard CGA320 CO2 thread, to which you screw on any normal CO2 regulator. example: http://www.homebrewing.org/The-Adapter-CO2-regulator-to-Paintball-Tank-Adapter_p_1122.html

the benefit of the tank remote is that you can turn the gas off when not in use. with only the adapter in the above link, there is always pressure going to the regulator unless you unscrew the tank.

So i did just that... i bought the remote on/off and an NTP fitting that allows me to hookup my regulator... now I tested this and it seems i can turn the tank on to a safe overall psi say 200 psi and adjust my regulator (rated for 250 psi) to the 10 psi i need to push my beer through the keg.

Do you think its safe to have the tank opened lets say a 1/10th open instead of wide open using the remote on/off?.. or is it designed to be wide open? That may be a stupid question.. but it seems like its all working.. i'm going to hook up a keg filled with water to test all the way through the tap today..

Just for the sake of providing some info, though it's late:

For co2 tanks there's no difference between open a crack and open fully. Once gas can come out at all it's coming out at max pressure.

I'd really suggest NOT running your primary regulator at 200psi if you're just looking to get a measly 10psi out of it downstream. No sense in pushing it to near it's max. Run it at 15 psi, or whatever you can hit that's near there.

If something goes wonky on your regulator due to temperature changes or something, it could easily jump up to the blowoff point.

Update on this adventure... So I bought the tank and an on/off valve and hard piped into a brand new regulator. I had to remove the stem and plumb into the high pressure side with some fittings... I got no leaks used teflon and some thread lock in other areas...

BUT...

My regulator will not regulate to 10 PSI no matter what.. now given that if i open the on/off the PSI is 3k.. it says that on the paintball tank the regulator should handle this psi on the HI input side right?... i went on the cheap with the regulator and only got it with the low pressure gauge (What a dummy) so i cant tell where the hi pressure is... shouldnt this work? do i have a bum regulator?

Back