Oxyclean haze

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mezak1gd

Reaction score
Ive seen a few topics on this, but would like to hear some more opinions.

I soaked some bottles in an off brand oxyclean to get the labels off. I left them in a couple of hours but may have used too much oxyclean. I also think I have fairly hard water. All the bottles came out covered in powdery white stuff, inside and out.

After looking through some threads I put them in a vinegar solution, and left them until they appeared clear, which was about 24 hours. I took them out, rinsed real good and allowed to dry.

Now that I am looking at them some still have a haze inside. Isnt real noticeable, but when I look close inside I can definately see some haze.

Are these safe to use? I am running low on bottles and really need these to bottle in a day or two.

A stronger vinegar solution may be needed. Or proper mixed Starsan.
The beer will probably taste OK, but I'd bet poor head retention.

I've found when using Oxyclean the trick is proper mixture, and HOT water. Start with hot, and get them out before it cools. I've never had a label hold on longer than 20 minutes (Sam Adams foil based).

Rinse with the hottest water your hands can stand. I usually fill the bottles 1/4 full and shake 3-4 times to get the residue out as well. Never had a problem with film since starting this process.

I've found when using Oxyclean the trick is proper mixture, and HOT water. Start with hot, and get them out before it cools. I've never had a label hold on longer than 20 minutes (Sam Adams foil based).

Rinse with the hottest water your hands can stand. I usually fill the bottles 1/4 full and shake 3-4 times to get the residue out as well. Never had a problem with film since starting this process.

Seconded! How water is the key. I also use 1OZ of OxiFree (OxiClean minus chlorine, dyes and perfumes) per 4-5 gallons of hot water and have never had a problem with label release (most just fall off, and even the stubborn foil tops on Negra Modelo bottles peel off easily), haze or head retention on bottles, and I've never had to scrub a carboy at that ratio either.

As a side note, I just bought a small container of Sun's OxiFree knockoff from Big Lots to try (hell, it's a third of the price of the real-deal... why not?!), and found that it's nowhere near as effective at the same ratio of powder to water. If I have to use three times as much... so much for the savings. I'll stick with OxiFree.

I have hard water and had the same scale/haze problem. It did seem to get worse with a higher concentration, but the vinegar solution had no problem taking it off just filling the bottles and shaking them. I made it quite strong though, only diluting it 1:1 with water. I've since bought some PBW and haven't looked back.

CLR also works well for getting that stuff off. I let my 2L starter flask soak overnight in a high concentration of oxyclean and then soaked in dollar store brand Calcium Lime Rust remover for 20 min and it rinsed right out.

Back