Oxyclean contamination?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptKaos

Reaction score
Racked my American light to the bottling bucket with the priming sugar solution. I had a strainer sitting on top of a three gallon bucket that I was using to catch drips from washing bottle washers in oxy earlier that day. I was going to flip the bucket upside down and use it as a platform for the bottling bucket during bottling. When I did, some residual oxy solution fell into the bottling bucket. I'm guessing about 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of solution ended up in the beer.

This is only my second batch of beer that I have bottled. Do you think that it is ruined? From now on I will always be covering my bottling bucket after racking.

I let this beer sit in primary and secondary for a total of a month. I am so pissed at myself. With this hot weather, my basement has gone over 75 degrees and is not fit for another batch.

.5-1tsp shouldn't have too much of an effect. You might get an off flavor like Band-aids (same as chloromines/too much chlorine) to a small extent. But I'm doubting it.

Yeah, five gallon batch.

I'm letting it sit in bottles for another two weeks at least. The first batch I made was an IPA and I found it got better the longer it sat in bottles. So I only chilled a couple at a time until they performed well. I will let this batch sit longer than my first until it has fully aged.

Latest posts

Back