Oxisan = oxidizing my beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torrefaction

Reaction score
I use oxisan as a sanitizer (widely available here in Montreal); my bottle caps, bottles, bottling bucket, want, autosiphon, tubing, etc are all wet with sanitizer when I bottle. This is an oxygen cleaner, right? Am I oxidizing my beer? Should I switch to Starsan?

"OXISAN is an equilibrium mixture of two active ingredients: peracetic acid and hydrogen peroxide."

So, more than just an oxidizing sanitizer. wrt oxidizing your beer, at some point one has to decide is it more important to prevent loss due to infection, or character changes due to oxidation...

Cheers!

Thanks! Do you happen to know if peracetic acid and hydrogen peroxide somehow help introduce oxygen into the mix (not a chemist, but "oxi"-anything for me indicates "oxygen")? If so, is Starsan a better alternative? Bottling my first comp beer tomorrow, having last minute jitters. I have some Starsan on hand.

I'm not a microbiologist (though one of my sons has a doctorate in that - I should ask him ;)) so I don't know "better" wrt sanitizers.
I do use Star San religiously and I've never had an evident infection in going on 15 years of home brewing. It doesn't have an obvious oxidizing component but relies on acids. If there's an oxidizing potential its from the foam :)

All that said, I really don't think Oxisan would be a clear risk when used as directed. Hydrogen Peroxide is highly unstable and will break down rapidly...

Cheers!

I would think it should read, "equilibrium mixture of two active ingredients: acetic acid and hydrogen peroxide. These are the components of peracetic acid.
Either way they will indeed oxidize your beer but that is dependent on the amount you introduce in your beer. It is a really good sanitizer, on par with idophor, and I would use it periodically to wash your equipment but be sure to let it dry out well before using.

We have used Oxysan cleaner at our winery to sanatize hoses and tanks. It's rather expensive and needed rinsed off/out of hoses and tanks. It is somewhat of a caustic and gets rid of red grape juice/wine stains off your hands most effectively. I repeat, it is mildly caustic and does a good job at sanitizing. IF you don't rinse it, the first contact might have some residual of the Oxysan in it, but will quickly be diluted. Now he have a ozone injected water system and produce ozone in a rinse water. It is both very effective and also does not need rinsing.

Back