Oxidizing beer for educational purposes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Glue

Reaction score
I have an interesting aftertaste ruining all of my hoppy beers yet, i feel it like a wrong kind of bitterness, something which tastes a bit like grass and sand. My non beer drinking friends detect it as too bitter. (the IBUs ranged from 40 to 75 in these beers) Since i have not made a non-hoppy beer yet i am not sure if the problem is hop related or not. (i have a non-hoppy beer in the works, maybe it will be drinkable)

This off taste didn't improved by time. I don't mean a lot of time btw, only 6-8 weeks.

Since it did not improved i am guessing it can be oxidation maybe. Since i don't know what oxidation tastes like i want to deliberately oxidize a "stock" beer.

How would i do that? Just shake up a bottle and don't open it for weeks?

(btw the same off taste showed up in beers brewed from bottled water and with somewhat treated water)

How are you aerating your wort? Last batch, I forgot and left my o2 bottle on way way to long. The beer had an odd sharp bitterness. The other 5 gallons that I properly oxiginated tasted fine. I have always heard to much o2 is not good, I have a batch that proves it

A grassy taste doesn't sound like oxidation to me. Are you dry-hopping, and if so, for how long?

all of those beers were dryhopped for a week with 1/2oz per gallon of various hops
(btw all of them spent 4 weeks in the primary in a glass fermenter then got syphoned into a bottling bucket and bottled with a wand and carbonated with priming sugar)

How are you aerating your wort? Last batch, I forgot and left my o2 bottle on way way to long. The beer had an odd sharp bitterness. The other 5 gallons that I properly oxiginated tasted fine. I have always heard to much o2 is not good, I have a batch that proves it

i am just shaking the carboy for a while before pitching dry yeast

oxygenation takes a while and your beer would taste like wet cardboard - is the response i've heard on here a lot. my question is, who's been eating wet cardboard?

grassy taste comes from dry-hopping too long, but a week isn't too long usually

oxygenation takes a while and your beer would taste like wet cardboard - is the response i've heard on here a lot. my question is, who's been eating wet cardboard?

Agreed. I usually only dry-hop 3-4 days, but a week shouldn't be excessive.

OP, two more thoughts...what is the total amount of hops in the recipes in question and how long are you boiling the bittering charge?

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Home Brew mobile app

by the way i think i have two off tastes going on at the same time, the grassy one and this "mystery" off taste and as the grassy taste fades i can feel the other one stronger

Back