Oxidized my beer? CO2 blasted hop bag out of carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B33rL0v3r

Reaction score
So this is a little bit of an odd situation. I transfered my Imperial IPA 8.5% to secondary but i forgot to blast the carboy with CO2 first. So since im a genius I blasted the container (without regulator) once all the beer was in there. The pressure was so great that it actually ejected one of my hop bags.

My question is: Do you think the pressure of the CO2 might have pushed the O2 that was sitting on top of my beer into the beer while it had this CO2 explosion? Or do you think I'm good?

I litterally did everything right on this batch and if i messed it up now im going to be real pissed haha.

Thanks for your input guys.

I guarantee that you're fine. Such a small thing like that is not going to ruin your batch.

The small amount of O2 that could have been sitting on top of the beer is pretty small. Chemically speaking, CO2 is heavier than O2, so there is a pretty good science argument that the CO2 displaced the O2 and there were no issues at all.

The amount of co2 and oxygen in the secondary really depends in how much fermentation was taking place. If your beer had pretty much finished fermenting by the end of the primary, then you probably did not have a very good protective layer of co2 in the secondary. If there was a fair amount of active fermentation then it would have. Either way though, your beers probably gonna be fine

Sounds like you def pressurized it with too much co2. You don't need that much to displace o2 in the head space. That musta been a sight just the same. Thar she blows! Dry,dry,dry hop ye blasted secondary! Maybe call it mobyale?:D

Back