Oxidized Grains??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrBrewDC

Reaction score
Well... I think I may have ruined 12.2 lbs of milled/flaked grains, however, I would appreciate some input. Due to unexpected circumstances, I was not able to brew last weekend. The grains sat in a paper bag in a dark room at about 65 degrees. I now know that I should have vacuum sealed them as soon as I realized I would not be able to brew. My question is: Since the cracked grains were exposed to oxygen for 7 full days (before finally vacuum sealing), should I scrap them and not waste my time or just go for it?? :confused:

You're worrying for absolutely the silliest reason in the world. Your grain was fine. It was far from in an oxygen barrier container when it was sitting in a sack in the lhbs, or the maltser's warehouse. And many folks store grain in paper bags.

IN FACT- if you are toasting your own grain it is encouraged to store them in a paper bag for a week to let the tasted oils mellow a bit before you use them.

Hell they've been storing grain in non air tight containers as long as they've been brewing, they didn't find tupperwear amongst the brewer ruins in ancient Babylon did they? ;)

Heck this is how they sat in the original Labatt's pioneer brewery in the 1800's...

DSCN3272.jpg

You're totally fine. You have more to worry about from getting bitten by a zombie than nonsense like thinking you should dump your grains because you didn't seal them up.

Opps.... left out an important part... they were MILLED and then placed in the sack for 7 days.

Once they are crushed, they have a much shorter shelf life. I'd suggest tasting them- if they taste stale or "weird", toss them. But if they taste good, then definitely use use! I don't know how long crushed grain will keep, but I suspect it would be longer than a week especially if they were kept fairly cool and dry.

Where the hell do you live? I just looked at google maps. In the middle of the forrest? Don't burn it down, while you're brewing.....

I rescind my original comment about zombies, you have more of a chance of getting eaten by a bear, than you do having oxydized grains. ;)

I've used grain a month after it was milled and the beer came out great. Have fun.

Haha.... Bear, cougar and one-toothed rabid hill billes... you have to keep an eye out for all of them! I no longer fear oxidation (at least in this instance). :)

I had a batch of milled grains for 10 gallons that I split up to 2 5 gallon grain bills. I brewed one batch up right away and the other batch sat in plastic baggies for 6 months at room temps before I finally got around to brewing them up. I couldn't taste any difference in the beers.

Latest posts

Back