Oxidized dunkel weizenbock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

urg8rb8

Reaction score
After filling 45 bottles of this beer, I had half a bottle worth of beer left in the bottling bucket. I decided to just bottle it for experimental purposes thinking it will end up being skunky and spoiled from all that head space in the bottle.

I just opened it up and took a sip and to my surprise it tasted so good!!! I think it tastes better than the other bottles. It has this extra complex sweetness/fruitiness to it that I can't really explain. Has anyone else experienced this before? What happened to the beer in this bottle?

Most probably more yeast has gotten into the last bottle from the bottom of bottling bucket, resulting in higher carb, additional esters, etc.

Oxidation can often cause an increase in perception of sweetness and deep stone-fruit flavors. It may also be that more priming sugar sank to the bottom of the bucket and was not finished by the yeast in the bottle. Skunkiness is caused by light interacting with hops, so it won't happen from oxidation.

Latest posts

Back