Oxidation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minjin

Reaction score
I have brewed 2 batches of beer. Both all grain. I have a question about how I cool my wort. I circulate it thru the plate chiller back to the keggle, on both batches I used the pump at almost full power, putting the wort back in the keggle from the top port at high velocity. I just assumed it would introduce oxygen to the wort eliminating the need to shake the carboy. But now that I think about it will this cause oxidation? Should I put the hose under the surface of the wort and circulate it that way?

There is no risk of oxidizing your beer before fermentation. If anything what you did was beneficial. You need as much oxygen saturation in the wort as possible for the yeast to start the fermentation.

You might get some negative opinions about hot side aeration, but most believe that it is a myth.

I think you're doing fine. Your beers taste okay, don't they? Oxygen in cool wort before fermentation = good. Helps the yeast grow. Oxygen after fermentation = bad. Oxidizes certain flavor compounds.

Latest posts

Back