Oxidation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superstorm

Reaction score
Hey everyone, so I just transferred my honey wheat ale that I made from my carboy into my bottling bucket, and I had no issues the whole time I was siphoning it until the end. At the end, I disconnected the tubing from the siphon to get the last of the beer in and some air got in and a medium sized cluster of bubbles formed and then disappeared. I was just wondering, will the beer be affected in any way because of that?

I wouldn't think so. You cant expect to keep your beer from never coming into contact with oxygen when Carbing with bottles. there is always gonna be a bit that gets in there especially when filling your bottles that are full of oxygen, but 99% of the time the Yeast that is eating the sugar and creating the CO2 to carb the bottles will scrub it out of solution when all is done and it is conditioning. now if you were getting bubbles the whole time you were siphoning that would be a different story all together.
Keep fighting the good fight!

Probably not. You didn't agitate or introduce a large amount of air. It shouldn't be an issue. A little bit of air in the bucket won't hurt anything, as long as it isn't introduced into the bottle prior to capping. If its just in the bottling bucket, chances are it'll off-gas and be just fine. You just don't want the air confined with the beer, especially under pressure.

Back