Oxiclean backflow into keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Staylow

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, so this is a weird one. Cleaning some kegs today with my normal process. I have a regulator with two outputs. One goes to a 4 way gas manifold in my keezer,, and the other stays out to use for pressurizing kegs mostly while cleaning. Had a keg 100% full of oxi - no air space at all. Attached the gas, then attached a liquid out line to run off into the sink, so as to clean the dip tube as well. As it's running off, I notice liquid movement in the gas line. So I finish and replace that piece of gas line. As I'm running rinse water, I notice liquid movement in the gas line going to the keezer, so I popped the lid and see that my entire gas system has oxiclean in it, and has obviously entered the kegs.

My question is, should I be concerned about the beer? Will the oxi just break down like Star-San, or will it have an impact on flavor? I plan to replace all of my gas lines shortly, then taste the beers, but I'm wondering how they will do over time.

Any advice or insight is appreciated.

Pretty sure Oxyclean isn't going to break down into anything that is both harmless and totally devoid of character. Ie, any beer in those kegs is now contaminated and should surely be treated as such.

Sorry...

Back