Oxi Clean for Homebrewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find you really have to rinse a few times to get the residue and white film thats left behind off. And COLD water works best.

Newb question
Isn't oxy-clean pretty much the same as 1-step? If "clean" oxy-clean can be used instead of 1-step for cleaning (still use star-san for sanitizing), it's a cheaper option yes?

1 Step says 'contains sodium percarbonate'. It does not say 100% s-p, but it lists no other ingredients, so it probably is. Other oxy cleaners may contain both sodium percarbonate and sodium carbonate. Name brand Oxy-Clean, as far as I know is 100% sodium percarbonte. Short answer - yes. Unscented oxy is the same thing as 1 Step at a lower price.

Picture does not show for me. Is it unscented? Does it contain sodium percarbonate and maybe sodium carbonate with no other ingredients?

I used it for my first two batches, didn't have a problem with taste but it felt no matter how much i rinsed I still got the whitish resin left on things. I just bought some 1 step now

I use oxy as part of my label removing step. An oxy-clean and hot water bath makes the labels (most) just fall right off. After that they get stored until its time to go through the dishwasher (clean) and sanitizing step (star san).

Using a dishwasher to clean bottles doesn't work so well. With the mouth of the bottle being so small, very little of the spray actually makes it into the bottles. Also, there's usually food residue of some kind left in there, as well as rinse aid and the residual dishwasher detergent.

I made a batch of the homemade pbw this week. It was a 5:3:2 ratio of all oxi laundry booster free: TSP 90: 7th generation dish detergent. I put labeled bottles and some bottles that I thought were goners for sure. Most of the bottles that were really dirty were pretty clean, and all labels were falling off. I have pretty hard water here 330+ ppm and soaking in oxi alone left the chalk haze. This stuff only left some water spots. Way better than previous attempts with other products.

That's the way my water is here, have a well and it's pretty hard I'm looking at getting a house softener system in the spring

Hmm....Perhaps I am missing something. I have brewed about 10 batches of beer and I simply use hot water and a brush to clean the buckets when I am done racking the beer from the bucket to the keg. Then when it's time to refill them with wort, I pull them from storage, rinse them and fill them with starsan solution. That cleans things up pretty darn well for me. I keep a sink full of Starsan that I put all of my hoses etc into right after racking so as to not allow beer to sit in the hoses any longer than necessary. I then run hot water through the hoses, taps, etc to clean.

I just don't like the idea of using any detergents in my gear odor free or not. Hot water and not allowing buckets to sit around dirty works so far. As far I can tell my beer has not suffered. I mean, there was a time when detergents were not available for brewing and hot water was the only means for cleaning.

Hmm....Perhaps I am missing something. I have brewed about 10 batches of beer and I simply use hot water and a brush to clean the buckets when I am done racking the beer from the bucket to the keg.

I cleaned everything with just hot water for about a year, and never had any problems. I didn't want any PBW or Oxi Clean taste in my beer. I went back to using Oxi because I felt like it was insurance against grime remaining in the equipment. From what I've read on this forum, I think the vast majority use a cleaner in addition to hot water, but it seems to be a matter of personal preference.

Buckets I clean like anything else. Hot water, dish soap, brush. The bottles are the only things that periodically get the oxi treatment.

Back