Overshot starting on Centennial Blonde Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roundyround

Reaction score
Brewed first beer today, 5.5 gal Centennial Blonde Ale all grain as per recipe from Biermuncher. Mash ended up with 7 gallons of 1.040 sg, then boiled down to 5.5 gallon wort of 1.050 sg which is 10 points higher than recipe calls for. Should I be concerned or need to adjust fermenting or bottling procedures?

Roundyround said:
Brewed first beer today, 5.5 gal Centennial Blonde Ale all grain as per recipe from Biermuncher. Mash ended up with 7 gallons of 1.040 sg, then boiled down to 5.5 gallon wort of 1.050 sg which is 10 points higher than recipe calls for. Should I be concerned or need to adjust fermenting or bottling procedures?

I'd settle. If you mess with it too much you might do something you cannot reverse. You'll have a damn good beer. It's a solid recipe.

Since you've upped the OG from Blonde to Pale Ale range, you might want to up the hops correspondingly. I did that this past summer. Turned out real nice.

You should have added enough water to dilute your wort that so you could hit your OG. My calculations show that if you would have diluted to 8.5 gallons your preboil gravity would be 1.033. Boil for an hour and with your 1.5 g boil off rate your postboil gravity would be 1.040. Spot on. Your postboil volume will be 7 gallons which is higher since you diluted so just rack your 5 or 5.5 gallons or whatever and do what you want with the leftover wort (an experiment would be what I would do). Keep in mind that hop utilization will be affected (probably only slightly) with the higher preboil volume.

It looks like you are done so there's nothing you can do about it now... but it's something to think about for future brews.

Keep note of your efficiency from this batch so that you can dial it in for your next batch. Your efficiency should be based on your own system, not the recipe's (unless your system is 70%...of course). This will prevent this problem from happening again.

Thanks for the replies, I will try to incorporate the suggestions as I go along. Sunday I've got a More Beer ALL Grain kit for an Irish Red. We'll see how this one goes. Hopefully as I get comfortable with the process, the tweaking will come more naturally for me, right now just keeping track of all the steps and their order takes most on my limited brain power. :)

It's fine- but if you add 1/2 gallon of chlorine-free water to your fermenter now, you'll have 6 gallons of 1.045 OG beer. That is what I would do. That way you don't over- or under-bitter the beer as much and the balance would be about right.

Since you've upped the OG from Blonde to Pale Ale range, you might want to up the hops correspondingly. I did that this past summer. Turned out real nice.

Quote myself- kind of like incest?
Anyways looked up my recipe. 5 G batch.OG=1.056, IBU=37, FG=1.010.
Used .5oz Cascades FWH, .5oz Centennials at 60, .5oz. Cascades at 30 and again at 5. Dryhopped with .5oz of both Cascades and Centennials.
Nice balance. Very nice beer. Was reviewed on the Homebrew review video channel by the guys in NewHampshire.

Back