Overpitch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

runkelia

Reaction score
Hello

In preparation for brewing a Scottish ale, I bought Wyeast 1728 to make a starter. I ended up making a 200ml starter that according to the Brewers Friend calculator had a potential of 380 billion cells when I really only needed 200 billion. I didn't think this could be a problem. But...

I brewed Sunday, ended up with about 6 gallons 1.048 gravity.
I pitched the starter and had activity within 2 hours.

Today being Tuesday, 48 hours later, the rigorous fermentation has stopped. There is still some airlock activity (every 30 seconds) but the krausen is gone and the yeast have fallen out to the bottom I presume. I will try to attach a picture to illustrate.

The question is: Do I have a problem?

P5276405.jpg

P5276404.jpg

I just moved it to a warmer room, it was reading 66 on the carboy temp. strip, I moved it to a room that is 78.

I've had beers finish in a couple days. I wouldn't be too concerned but I would take a gravity reading just in case

78 is kinda warm but if it was in the mid sixties for active fermentation that isn't a big deal.

Still, you will find out what is happening with the beer if you measure the gravity.

I'd move it back to the cooler room. The yeast will be cleaning up for a while. 78° will speed up the process, but may give you off-flavors. Your temp was almost perfect before.

That junk on the bottom is mostly trub. A vast majority of your yeast is still in suspension, working it's magic. Leaving it cool will slow the fermentation process, but the yeast will be more thorough, and you will have a great beer in a few weeks.

Patience.

Holy smokes, gravity is at 1.010. Also I may have overreacted with the temp., I'm going to move it back.

You must have meant 2000 ml too, with your starter.

Sounds like you had healthy yeast and a big starter for the batch size/gravity, and it metabolized the sugars pretty fast.

Did you taste it? How was it?

You must have meant 2000 ml too, with your starter.

Sounds like you had healthy yeast and a big starter for the batch size/gravity, and it metabolized the sugars pretty fast.

Did you taste it? How was it?

Yes 2000.
It tasted really great for being 48 hours old. I was shocked.
Which is making me re think the hops. I got this recipe off pro mash, and it called for a dry hop of .38 ounce Fuggle.
For a Scottish ale I thought was unusual.

Latest posts

Back