Overflow during fermenting, now crud on sides

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Qbrewer

Reaction score
I might have screwed this up, but I wanted to see if anyone could offer advice. Here's the story: I got a Mr. Beer as a gift, brewed the two extract kits that came with it. First one came out good, second one was fouled - very sharp/alcohol'y. Got busy and didn't try again for 6 months. I went to my LHBS and picked out a partial mash mix for a "Belgian Dark Strong Ale." I cleaned my Mr. Beer and sanitized it with StarSan(along with all the other tools). I took my mix and cut the recipe in half since it was for 5 gals and Mr. Beer is <2.5. Two weeks ago was brew day. I followed all the instructions - steeped the grains, then boiled in unhopped LME, DME, 1 lb dark brown sugar and bittering hops. Added the flavor hops for the last 10 mins of boil. Chilled the wort, added filtered tap water to hit the target volume, pitched the yeast (Safbrew T-58) and screwed the sanitized Mr. Beer lid on. I put the Mr. Beer in a bottom kitchen cabinet, turned out the light and went to bed. I woke up the next morning, checked on it and saw that it had foamed up and spilled out of the lid, with a nice size puddle underneath. I cleaned up the mess, wiped the outside of the fermenter clean and let it run.

Today (2 weeks later): I just poured a bit into a glass to taste and it's got a bit of an edge to it - it's a little "sharp" with an alcohol'y bite. It doesn't smell or taste as sweet as I expected, but I'm not convinced it's bad yet. It actually smells a little bit fruity if that makes any sense. I decided to look inside and when i unscrewed the cap, I see that a bunch of "crud" is lining the sides and cap of my Mr. Beer. I'm assuming this is mostly brown sugar, but i don't actually know for sure.

Here's what I need help with: Do I bottle it and see what happens? Should I scrape the stuff from the sides back into the liquid inside the fermenter and let it run longer? Should I let it ferment another week or two as is? Is something really screwed up and should I toss this batch and start over?

I really hope I didn't manage to have two bad batches in a row. Thanks in advance to all for any suggestions!

Don't scrape, don't rush your beer either. Just leave the crud on the sides and relax. Also don't judge your beer until it's been a minimum of 3 weeks in the bottle but closer to six if you are suing the big mr beer bottles.

You can't really get a feel for a beer until it's carbed and conditionedm both things go a long way to how a beer tastes. Until then we call the beer "green."

The sharp alcohol flavor may be from the beer just being "green" or from too warm during fermenting and the yeast creating "fusel alcohol". Give it more time in the fermenter and time in the bottles and a lot of off flavors just go away.

If you can find a cooler place (about 60 degrees or so) to ferment the yeast will work slower and won't be as likely to overflow the fermenter but it will take longer to complete the ferment. Flavors produced in the cooler temperatures are not as sharp (in my mind at least).

Back