Overfilled Primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crosley623

Reaction score
So as I started buying more and more plastic jugs for primaries and bottling buckets. I was bottling a batch tonight and realized that I must have bought 2 different sized buckets, my mistake is that I must have overfilled my previous batch that is in the primary right now. One of my buckets is 5 gallons and others are 6 gallons to the bottom of the lower rim. I ran down to the basement to see how much extra water I added and I royally screwed up. So since I ended up filling the bucket up to the 6 gallon mark is the beer totally ruined. I don't want to go through the pain of bottling if it's not going to be drinkable.

Any thoughts, any please tell me someone else has done this before!!

It depends on the kit. Most are 5 gallons. Cooper's are 6 gallons,or 23L. Even if it was a 5G brew,it won't be too bad,just a little lighter. Chalk it up as lesson learned. It might be the same as a session beer all said & done. Keep at it & see how it turns out.

What style of beer is in the fermenter? I would say your beer is probably fine. Might be a little watered down, but it will still be beer. I once had a buddy who brewed a black IPA and his wort chiller leaked about a gallon of water into his kettle before he was done cooling. It watered down his beer, but it still turned out great. I would honestly just let it go, bottle it up, and see how it tastes.

It's a witbier recipe and I was aiming for the 5 gallon mark. I guess it's just going to be a light, thin, low ABV beer for the hot days. Well the good news is that I'm not a fan of witbiers, I brewed this one for my wife who's not a huge beer drinker.

Did you take any hydrometer readings? That'll give you an idea where it is compared to the expected OG/FG

Back