overdone the sweetness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BFR

Reaction score
Did a ginger wine..... came out very dry so used for the first time wine sweetner and have overdone it...... so is there anything I can use to sort this out or am I better to tip it out and start again???

cheers for any help

Once you add the sorbate (in the wine conditioner), there isn't much you can do. It might make a nice dessert wine, as I've noticed wine tends to get a bit sweeter tasting in the bottle over time.

Dilute it with a dry wine. Either befor botteling or as you drink. Try using 'Reeds extra ginger ale'as a by the glass mixer. This way you do not loose the ginger flavor. Or make a second batch of ginger wine and mix with the over sweet one. Or use as a cough syrup! Trying anything is better then dumping it! You can always dump it later..... Or better yet give it away as a guift!
Good luck!

The wine conditioner alone will not prevent refermentation---the amount of sorbate in it is only enough to preserve that bottle. I have had wine referment the one and only time I used it(in addition to k-meta)...and my wine was 0.996 when I used it. So just be aware.
I agree you could use a dry wine to blend, or make a small batch of dry ginger wine and dilute. Keep in mind that ginger wine blends fabulously with raspberry, cherry, blueberry and Skeeter Pee--so you do have a lot of options.

Back