Overcarbonation!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonden3000

Reaction score
Hello!

Last Tuesday i kegged my APA into four 5L party kegs. The last 3 liters went into bottles. But while bottling, my head accidentally got stuck in my a$$, and I doubled the amount of priming sugar for each bottle. The recipe said 7g per Liter and i used 7 grams into every bottle( 0.5L )!!!

I know they will over carbonate. but my question is: Can I pop the swing top to relieve pressure, and then pop them back on again? And if so, when?

You could transfer some into a sanitized plastic soda bottle (1L) and when the plastic bottle gets hard, release some pressure in all of the bottles. You basically used double the amount needed. I would do this for at least a week or two. I would take notes as to how quickly the soda bottle gets pressure and when it is starting to slow down then maybe you wont have to worry about doing this anymore.

This just my guess. I am sure that someone else will chime in with more experience.

What a rookie move. None of the rest of us have made any mistakes during brewing! (Please understand the sarcasm involved here). The good news is, mistakes help teach you lessons that you won't soon forget. Cheers.

You can relieve the pressure by easing the swing top open a bit. I would do this every day to avoid the beer foaming out. Having the bottles at 65°F rather than 70°F will slow down the yeasts fermentation of the priming sugar. Continue this until just a slight hiss comes out, then condition to carb the beer.

Back