Overcarbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rollingskone

Reaction score
Hi,

Last week a had a bottle explode in my hands as I was uncapping it. Nothing major happened to me, luckily, just a few cuts on my hands. I added the correct amount of priming sugar to the beer, and all bottles were very over carbonated. When served I would get about an inch of beer in the glass, and the rest of foam. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what could have gone wrong to create that much pressure inside the bottle? I don't want exploding bottles anywhere near me again.

Thanks!

When you measured the priming sugar, did you measure by weight or by volume? That's a pretty common mistake people make (I've done it before).

The only other thing I could think of is that perhaps you bottled it before it was completely finished fermenting. How many days after pitching your yeast did you wait to bottle? Did you take multiple hydrometer readings to ensure that fermentation had ceased?

hunter_la5 said:
When you measured the priming sugar, did you measure by weight or by volume? That's a pretty common mistake people make (I've done it before).

The only other thing I could think of is that perhaps you bottled it before it was completely finished fermenting. How many days after pitching your yeast did you wait to bottle? Did you take multiple hydrometer readings to ensure that fermentation had ceased?

^^this^^
Also the amount of priming sugar to use is based upon the finished volume of beer so if you brewed a 5 gallon batch and only bottled 4.5 gallons due to trub loss then you calculate for the 4.5 gallons, not 5

Back